Login | Register

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

It is currently Mar 28th, '24, 18:16

Post subject: Prestige Tutors
PostPosted: Sep 19th, '09, 10:22 
Twilight Council

Instead of forcing players to find other players or DMs we are going to put down an npc for each prestige class somewhere on the realm. Some will be easier to find, some will be harder but all of them will teach you when you have enough xp to gain a level.

You just walk up to the npc and initiate the conversation, asking to "Teach me in the art of [insert class], master!"
You need to get back to the npc each time. Some of these npcs will be hidden, such as assassins, pale masters and shadowdancers will need to walk a little while.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Prestige Tutors
PostPosted: Sep 20th, '09, 17:01 
Twilight Council

I think Lore's working on something for this already. He mentioned something briefly the other day at least. :)

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sep 20th, '09, 17:07 
Twilight Council

He is indeed. He brings the mechanics I bring the npcs

Current planned locations:

Weapon Master - Mr. Garfield - Westlands
Divine Champ - Lomator Swordjust's Spirit - Cathedral of Light
Blackguard - Lady Sardonia DeCay - Nherazkar
Shifter - Lomelduil Lomenderel - Elnhal
Shadowdancer - Rodrigo Sutznek - ???
Assassin - The Black Widow - ???
Pale Master - The Artists - ???

more to come...

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Oct 2nd, '09, 12:53 
Twilight Council

You can now find tutors for all prestige classes but the PDK in the module. However, they may move around a little, be hard to find, or appear only on set times. So you'll have to work for it.
Once you find a tutor, if you have enough xp to take your next level and you don't already have a different prestige class, you can speak with them and ask for training. They will then let you take your level in the prestige class if you meet that prestige class' standard requirements.
This permission will only apply to a single level, and you have to take that level on the day of training. If you wait longer than that, or don't have enough xp yet, you'll have to find the tutors again some other time.
If you want to take more than one level in the prestige class, you will have to come back on another day for the next stage of your training.

Some tutors have special features like a store or divination powers you can use even when you don't want to apply for the class. Also, the RDD class has two tutors, a gold one for the non-evil, non-CN alignments and a red one for the non-good alignments.

I'd like to add that PCs can still tutor other PCs in their prestige classes without these limitations on how often, how much xp, how long or how many other PRCs you have. But there will be the RP requirements to live up to.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Oct 3rd, '09, 16:22 
Level 3 Player Character

Hey everyone

I just made a character to become a shadowdancer. I've got Dodge, Mobility, Tumble 10, Hide 10 and Move Silently 10. I went to the tutor and spoke to him, but I didn't get the option to get training. He said "I'm not sure you have what it takes" and the only option left was "I'll be on my way." Is there a bug in there somewhere?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Oct 4th, '09, 16:23 
Twilight Council

Did you have enough xp to take your next level, i.e. see your level-up icon?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Oct 4th, '09, 16:39 
Twilight Council

Yes she did. It was during relevel.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Oct 14th, '09, 07:21 
Level 6 Player Character

Hey I have a question on what times do Prestige Tutors show up. Do they show up randomly per hour? per day? or per walking into an area (i.e If a tutor is hanging out outside should i leave then come back in right then)?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Oct 15th, '09, 05:41 
Masters of Fate

Lomator Swordjust's conversation seems glitched. Once you talk to him, he starts with "The answer to your question?" and does his magic 8-ball act.

There's no option to even ask for training (yes, all requirements are met, including the level-up icon).

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Oct 15th, '09, 13:12 
Twilight Council

And here is a little feedback from myself.

I'd go for an either/or situation with the tutors as far as limiting goes.

EITHER let them be present every single day in the module, (I like the idea of them moving around, though. If you tell me what waypoint to place I'll give them several locations to be, if you wish)
OR allow people to take as many levels as they have the XP for.

Currently it's a bit too much.

Personally, I'd love to have to look for those tutors in various, distant places. Perhaps even have them walk a certain location such as Lomator could hover around in Solinar, taking long walks in various districts.
I wouldn't mind setting this up in fact.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Oct 15th, '09, 15:19 
Twilight Council

I'll put down some input as far as development goes too :P

My advice would be to make a 'project development' document. By that I don't mean spend two months on a report with class diagrams, UML and drawings, but at least write a brief, maybe even a specification as to what is to be included.

"I'd like a group of NPC's to teach PC's prestige classes. Their availability is to be constant but their location random to six points (wp_NPCTAG_x), they will charge X gold for the training and the number of times they can be seen in one day is to be a maximum of three."

not perfect by a long shot, but it took me five minutes and i'm sure that you at least got an idea from the few lines of writing.

More of a suggestion than anything else but worth considering.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Oct 15th, '09, 16:09 
Twilight Council

It's a good idea but I'm inclined to give Lore creative freedom, and then we can discuss if something needs discussing. Lore is an equal partner in creation and I've never been disappointed with his additions, sometimes they may be a bit too restrictive though much like I can be overtly lenient at times.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Oct 15th, '09, 18:58 
Twilight Council

Unfortunately the script in the presently running module is broken and Glor hasn't yet had the opportunity to replace it with an updated version.

Most of the tutors will appear a few days a week, and I don't really think it should be more. As you know, the system with the NPCs we offer (or will offer once it's operational) does not replace the old system. You can still find a PC willing to teach, and I believe that's the most entertaining way with the most opportunity for engaging roleplay.
The NPCs offer an additional way to play your chosen prestige class, and even if they're only around two or so days a week and travel all over the place, that's a lot more often than never.

It also means that you can gain 2 levels of prestige class a week, or in other words, get to level 10 in just over a month of playing. For some classes it will be more, for others less, and of course it will take longer if you don't know when or where to look, or can't raise the xp to advance before the NPC's day is over.
I don't think that's a problem. If you're serious about playing a prestige class you can exercise a little patience and enjoy slowly getting better instead of being a master at once, and if you can't, you can find a PC tutor. And if you can't, well, you're still no worse off than before the NPC tutors were introduced. Then there's always the DM to pester...

If however we plan to make the NPC tutoring more important than the PC tutoring, I expect NPCs will be around more often, but become much harder to find unless you're lucky or follow the trail they've left for the day. A cost in gold or a quest to complete before training (or after, with the risk of losing your level again if you fail) might be introduced, along with a chance they'll laugh in your face and flat out refuse to teach a loser like yourself, ever.
But that's another story, and a different approach to how we treat prestige classes.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Oct 15th, '09, 19:20 
Twilight Council

I still think it's a bit too much.
Remember the reason why we decided to introduce this:
We don't have enough people and most of them aren't too excited to rp with new characters either.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Oct 15th, '09, 19:33 
Masters of Fate

I will say that recently I've seen a lot of interaction between old and new characters, so I need to disagree with your latter statement, Glor. ^_^ However, that's not the point here.

I do enjoy the mesh of both systems. We're still allowing for PC tutelage, which is grand for those who still wish to play such roles on the module. I know that there are a few characters that still do. The NPCs are also a grand touch and I agree with the "difficulty" in finding them to a point. I like that a person must work to earn their levels (what with their being prestige, after all), and that said NPCs wander around and have their own schedules.

That said, regarding the NPCs, I like Glor's idea of giving them set schedules indeed. (i.e, what he said about Lomator). I also think--if you decide not to change their ellusive patterns--that it would be a bit of help to the players if these wandering NPCs were mentioned inside of the game by other NPCs, or something of the sort. That way, we're sort of pointing the player in the right direction while still making them hunt down the tutor. I think it beats having to check the forums, guess, hope, ect.

Example:

Townsperson A: "Eh, I hear that so-and-so has been [here] lately, blah blah..."

Then again, I'm just rambling.

Offline Profile