Login | Register

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

It is currently Mar 29th, '24, 03:39

PostPosted: Oct 15th, '09, 20:32 
Twilight Council

It's possible to have certain items show up in your examine.

I'd like to suggest to add a possibility to faction gear that it sets a title of Preserver (Any piece of faction gear, only once), Crusader(Any piece of faction gear, only once), Protector (Silvana's Ward or Midnight Dawn Pendant), and Lotus Girl.

Reasoning: I disallowed crafting of faction gear so you can be recognized. This way it would be less important.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Oct 16th, '09, 05:21 
Masters of Fate

I like this idea.

"Popular belief is had that this person carries.." Etc.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Oct 16th, '09, 07:20 
Twilight Council

I'd be tempted to write silly things...

"Popular belief is had that this person carries.."

Syphillis (A vanerial disease caused by the spirochetal bacterium)

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Oct 16th, '09, 08:09 
Masters of Fate

Good idea.

Craftable faction gear would be nice.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Oct 16th, '09, 13:26 
Twilight Council

Aww, what's the fun of faction gear if you don't all look very much alike?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Oct 16th, '09, 17:37 
Masters of Fate

NPCs are designed to look all alike, its the players that play the special characters - I'm not a fan of NwN-medieval-life-sim :P

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Oct 17th, '09, 19:51 
Twilight Council

Back to the main point, the current system treats titles as something which you acquire during your career and don't lose. Let's take this fictional list of titles as our example:

Black Dragon Tamer
Acrobat
King of Merrydale
Preserver
Gnomish Nose Wrestling Champion

If it would happen the character was no longer the king of Merrydale, we would have two options. The first is removing the Gnomish, Avatar, Preserver and King titles and then re-adding the Preserver, Avatar and Gnomish title.
As you can imagine, this is a clumsy way to make changes and we'd prefer to add and remove titles as little as possible.

The second option is editing the lw_exam_t3 string (3 for the 3rd title from the top) to read Ex-King of Merrydale. This solves the problem neatly as everyone will know who the character used to be and what he isn't today, without upsetting any of the other titles.
Unfortunately, that doesn't work so well with deception because finding and changing 'Preserver' to 'Not a Preserver, honest!' every time a character owns the faction items but doesn't use them is just silly. If we dedicate a separate field to the character's faction we can easily blank out we're not really helped either, because this character is both Janzellite and Preserver so we'd still be faced with a list and the remove/re-add situation.

In short, while it's perfectly possible to make a work-around to give a character a faction title for wearing one or more faction items, the Title part isn't designed for dynamic updates.
On the other hand, the equipment field is constantly updated when items are equipped or unequipped by, given to or taken from a character. This field can identify who is wearing faction equipment without fail (assuming of course that the faction equipment is marked to appear on the list), and was designed to respond to changes.

Then there is a last field, for Appearance (Expression and Other are also there of course, but they're not as relevant when it comes to equipment). If you are in disguise, and expect not to be recognized as the person owning all those illustrious titles and magical artefacts kept at the bottom of your pack, you can announce it there. The same if you are dressed to be instantly recognizable.

I can understand the appeal of having a Title scripted to match the situation, and I plan to make more use of scripted titles in the future myself (much like the reputation perks in Fallout, as a result of player actions and choices). But I think in this case it would be a lot easier to use the Equipment field to describe which items a character is using, and the Titles field for the honours they obtained.
Of course it can say Preserver there, or Preserver Lieutenant Commander of the Fifth Cohort if you prefer, but it should be because the character's name is tied to that position, not because they wear a certain get-up.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Oct 18th, '09, 10:13 
Twilight Council

So what variables do I add to an item in the toolset on creation by default so that the item shows up in the item field?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Oct 18th, '09, 13:42 
Twilight Council

That's already described in the 'On the new examine features' thread from Sat Dec 06, 2008.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mar 11th, '10, 16:31 
Twilight Council

We will be able to remove titles from the middle of the list shortly. Many faction items on the palette have been given PC Examine descriptions. Code to combine several items' descriptions into one title is yet to follow.

Offline Profile