Login | Register

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

It is currently Mar 29th, '24, 15:24

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Special Ability Tools
PostPosted: Nov 16th, '09, 18:18 
Twilight Council

I'm not sure if we have this yet or not. I know we have fear auras so I assume we have something similar.

It would be two items:

spec_self - Unique Power (Self Only) x/day
spec_all - Unique Power x/day

On which the following Variables could be set:

Ability string wh_47ev3r - Which would mean the ID number of the spell or ability we would want the item to cast (wonder if we have a list of these).
Number [i]int
- 1to6 - Which would mean the number of times it can be cast, overriding the general rules below:
- These spells would cast as the level of the caster taking spell penetration/focus into account where applicable.[/i]
- These spells would cast 10lvl tier times (1-10 once, 11-20 twice etc, turning into 5 times at the 40th level.)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Nov 17th, '09, 06:44 
Level 10 Player Character

I don't think you can take caster level (for spell penetration or focus feats) into account if you're casting a spell through a unique item ability. You'd have to modify all of the spell scripts to make it work like that.

What you could do is have a script on acquire that modifies the item's stats to add Cast SPELL_NAME (Level CHAR_LEVEL) with a certain number of uses per day. This still won't take into account spell focuses. And I'm not sure how well the spell levels thing for items even works.

The second method would require -much- less work on the part of whoever scripts it but you can't use it for some of the abilities I think.

This is all assuming that the system doesn't already exist since I wouldn't really know either way.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Nov 17th, '09, 13:21 
Twilight Council

First of all, we'll have to decide just what the caster level is.
If the item is meant to, say, allow a bard/cleric/SD to cast a spell they didn't choose on level-up, caster level refers to the Bard part.
If it's meant to let any character cast a spell even when they normally have no spellbook, caster level refers to the total character level.
But if two level 10 characters with the same Fireball spell item meet, would having more wizard levels be an advantage over a paladin or rogue, demanding a weighted average?

Factoring in spell feats, spontaneous casting, spells/day, metamagic, UMD checks and casting ability scores (is that Protection from Evil an INT, WIS or CHA spell item?) gives us three options.
The obvious one is changing every spell in the game to use an alternative caster level variable rather than the real caster level and so on whenever the spell comes from such an item.
Then we have the option of making the item cast a 'fake' spell, teleporting in an invisible NPC with the appropriate caster level and feats, and having them fire off the spell desired. Unfortunately the PC wouldn't get the xp for any kills, and I expect it wouldn't work for Caster Only spells either.
Lastly we can edit .2da files. This can be done either to give a sorcerer or the like more 'known' spells, or to add more CastSpell itemproperty options such as level 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, 8, and 9 fireballs.

We do have items like the fear aura, which have their own script set and take level into account, just as if we'd go with option 1. But these are all designed to do one thing, instead of covering every spell configuration concievable, which makes things a lot more manageable in this case.
What we also have is the functionality to give items the CastSpell property in-game for all spell IDs and Charges/Use or Uses/Day, but as you know, that comes with limited level choices unless we'd drastically expand them using option 3.
Of course, if we're talking about divine magic, wizards or known spells, the BonusSpellSlot property, perhaps alongside a scroll to scribe, does the trick just fine without all the fuss.

I think it all boils down to what you want to do with the item. Something that creates a CastSpell property based on two variables is easily done, adding caster level means I'd rather work with specific spell items; if for instance you want a Lightning Bolt spell item we can change the Lightning Bolt script, but I see no point in spending hours updating all the spells we'll never use in this way :)

For a list of spell IDs, look through your .2da files.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Nov 17th, '09, 14:34 
Twilight Council

This is for special abilities that are not class based, so the total levels of the caster would be it. Auras, breaths, gazes, etc.

I'll give you a list of spells if that's what you need.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mar 11th, '10, 16:27 
Twilight Council

A list of spells would be desirable.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mar 13th, '10, 09:25 
Twilight Council

This is something I could put a pit of time into, too. It's relatively small and would give me a break from bigger things.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mar 13th, '10, 11:18 
Twilight Council

Feel free :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mar 13th, '10, 16:39 
Twilight Council

would still require the list of abilities of course, a name, a general idea of what they are to do and for what class. ^^

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mar 13th, '10, 16:50 
Twilight Council

I'll give this by tonight. (GMT)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mar 13th, '10, 19:32 
Twilight Council

The general idea behind this one is to have the monster abilities available for players. For the most part I'm thinking of:

Beholder Antimagic Cone
Psionic Mass Concussion
Dragon Fear Aura
Psionic Inertial Barrier
Breaths
Auras
Gazes
Pulses

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mar 14th, '10, 17:24 
Furfag

*rubs self* mm psionic and dragon breath..do want

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mar 14th, '10, 18:54 
Twilight Council

Anything special for the people who can turn into angels?

As an example, extends aura which harms undead, weakens evil, applies regeneration charisma/5 to allies within range, bolsters good, blinds people with dark vision, grants temporary flight widget, applies wings effect, makes them glow gold/applies temp skin, grants temporary damage bonus equivalent to bless weapon to all within range, something along those lines? Obviously we dont have to use all of the above, those were just some things that lept to mind that angels might well do.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mar 14th, '10, 21:45 
Furfag

What about some demon/devils?

there's a few other monster spells

Like summom Baatezu
shadowblend

Rage,greater rage, and improved

Touch petrifaction.

I suppose the gaze abilities too.

Deflecting force..no idea what that does

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mar 15th, '10, 02:55 
Twilight Council

No, nothing of the sort for now. At the moment it would just be nice to have tools and then the proper list of possibilities and the method to use them.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mar 25th, '10, 18:48 
Twilight Council

Done to an extent. Can't work out cone visuals for the gazes and what not but the effects still work. Work on breaths in a while.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next