Login | Register

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

It is currently Mar 28th, '24, 13:02

PostPosted: Jul 25th, '10, 19:42 
Twilight Council

1. DM Schedule - Once we all get back from vacation and moving and what else we have going on, we are going to discuss the possible event times and jurisdictions of every DM.
- We will try to cover every time zone as much as we can, possibly do another DM election if we need more help.
- We will also make sure that everybody can have their share of the fun.

2. Module Fixes - I have my ideas yet again. Everybody is telling me how they miss the old days, so we are going to discuss a few matters that are bothersome on the mechanic level.
- It will either be a few meetings in the OOC room that I will log and post on the forum, or just a few development posts where players who had their share of experience can also say their piece.

3. Less restriction, more motivation. - I know that this is the touchy subject. My plan about this one is to finally finish module lore and then write an all around world-plan on how I see things in this setting, and then going to let the rest of the DM team be creative with it as well.
- We will separately discuss the pet peeve of "Favoritism vs TooMuchFreedom" and the "Powerlevel vs Character Progress" topics.
- Also going to discuss a few things that bother me personally and that I want to get out of my system.
- Power to the people. :)

4. Rules Reworked - I never meant the rules to look like bars on a cage. I just felt frustrated with all the conflict and I wanted to make an all-around block of guidelines that I can direct people to.
- Fact of the matter is, Kymlun is way too strict at the moment.
- I just need everybody's help to make it more fun, instead.

Discuss!

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Jul 25th, '10, 20:33 
Level 6 Player Character

Topic 1: DM Schedule
With the three new DMs and the summer ending, bringing back others. I think this will work out fine. Not much to add there.

Topic 2: Module Fixes
For the most part, I love the setting, its true we can't get world sizes put down in nwn. If you cut areas out (Or at least removed some ATs), say make 4 main parts of the server you can only travel to by cart to make it "feel" bigger, not everyone would like that. It would also big a huge overhaul to setup each main part to feel more stand alone, more like a real country then a blob of areas. So, while I think that would be a nice change, the time and effort (plus some dislike for needed to cart or boat to these cities) needed to be put into that would likely just be out of the question. Lastly, some areas have waaay too many placeables. :)

Topic 3: Less restriction, more motivation
Favoritism, is why I left the server last time. Someone gets that, someone gets this, and you stand around while everyone else has all these grand and epic things going on and you watch form the sidelines. I've seen it so many times it gets old for me real quick, will it go away? Not likely, but if you setup more quest lines for example say. Syth wants to have some ring that does X effects, go off how powerful he item would be Combat and Noncombat wise and think of a reasonable time frame till the item can be given. Too much freedom, I can't say I've really seen a lot of this so I'm not sure about how to comment without more details. Power leveling, well there are a few ways around this. Level caps! GASP! I was around when this was going away, at the time I was all for it as I have never played a server that had caps. After I left I played lower level servers that all had caps, and for the most part this worked, however the system breaks when player A gets 2-3 events in a day. And being a epic level 40 server with epic plots being tossed around, grinding to a high level so you can do something in said epic event is a very tempting idea. I couldn't say what the best way here would be but if possible have level 1-20 fairly easy to get, and 21-40 really hard to get. With the item forge you can burn up extra XP really easy, but once you get to level 18ish spending all that hard earn XP looks less tempting.

Topic 4: Rules Reworked
I've never really had a problem with any rules before, I also tend to avoid questionable actions. I have seen however where new rules pop up because 1 player did something bad and then everyone looses something. So as long as that doesn't happen I don't really see what has to be changed.

Closing Comments
I have played NWN since 2004/2003 or something. Played on many great servers but something always bad would happen, either player drama or greedy controlling management. I have DMed on other servers, some short the last time was for about two years, nearly the whole life of the time I played on that server. So I've seen how both sides work, at least player and DM. I have hosted and run servers too however none of them ever needed a great deal of management, never very large. So, I tend to have a good idea, at least good to me, about some things. Never Admin of any type on the larger servers so things could be different but I don't really know not having seen that side. But I tend to not comment much because the last server it was "Admin has changed this, deal with it" really puts you off for wanting to help at all. And you can disregard my comments here if you like, but I actually like playing here and if my experiences of other servers can help I'll be happy.

Oh and I can ramble a bit sometimes with long posts like this.

End Long Drawn Out Blabbing Here.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Jul 26th, '10, 01:50 
Level 7 Player Character

I can say I am looking foreword to most of these discussions....

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Jul 26th, '10, 04:22 
Level 12 Player Character

Only thing to say at the moment is:

2. Module fixes:

Good ol days? Everyone is saying it? Well, that can't include the new players, as the new players haven't had good ol days. Just remember why you changed things in the first place. Typically it was to attract new players or to see to the needs of the new players so the old ones weren't seen as favoured.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Jul 26th, '10, 09:06 
Twilight Council

Old days defined:

More active, managable, easy going and willing to help DM team.
More events across the board, less people going without.
Fewer 'major' problems, fewer arguments, tighter wound community.
More personal items and more understanding of how to use them responsibly
Less grinding for more RP, but grinding areas still available and yet, pretty looking.
Most requests considered and discussed (even strange ones).
RP more valuable than now (EG: Roleplayer of the Month, more freely given rewards for good effort(Example, level 10 rogue tries to pickpocket level 40 ranger for money/keys/something, gets caught, backs off and accepts it, gets rewarded accordingly))
Bigger player responsibilities (EG: People in control of prison cells, etc)
More realistic, live world.
Less pressure on DM's to do the little things (eg, being in control of prison cells, etc).

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Jul 26th, '10, 16:02 
Level 12 Player Character

Bring back the good ol days! XD

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Jul 26th, '10, 17:56 
Masters of Fate

Maun T'har, grinding the old undead for hours, with a fancy group roleplaying, for a shamefull 11xp per kill! With caps on epic levels, people going: OMG! A BALOR! and whatnot..
When a +3 1d6 lightning sword was amazing.
Any item above lvl 20 was rare, and probably custom with a story + event to it.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Jul 26th, '10, 20:20 
Level 7 Player Character

Sounds like the goid old days need to come back in many ways! It woukd make thr server alot more fun

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Nov 5th, '10, 07:09 
Masters of Fate

We need to re-meet on this. I suggest even having players a part of it, not just DMs.

Offline Profile