Login | Register

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

It is currently Mar 28th, '24, 10:30

PostPosted: Jun 23rd, '10, 13:40 
Twilight Council

On Kymlun it's very hard to become a DM, for several reasons.
First is that I have a nearly perfect bullshit detector and I don't allow people whom I think aren't reasonable, stable enough personalities, lack in some department, or just do not have the right feeling about.
Second is that there is an unwritten ruleset to being a DM and it's very much the core of the required behavior for any responsible position in life.
Third is that almost everybody offered or wanted to try before. Those who are rejected, should never feel left out, ignored, or God forbid, offended. This is a team you need to fit with here, and the players.

The second point is the most important part of this post because it is VERY DIFFICULT to point these things out and they are no easy guidelines to follow.
I'll stick it here for everybody to see MY personal take on how a DM should behave, and then you can point at it when I unintentionally break my own rules.

The bottom line is, we are all human and we all make mistakes. Most of us learn from those.

Guidelines of DM Behavior
- DMs are humans too. You can make mistakes, but try not to make them at the expense of the players.
- Be patient. When you run out of patience, you let people know and explain what caused it, and then log off or even leave the computer for a little while.
- Be ready. What I mean is, even if players come up with incredibly shit excuses you are ready with your response and seem unbiased and unphased by their stupidity.
- Know your players. Figure out who wants to stop murder scenes and who wants to be the murderer. By no means force them into the opposite role - but not only figuratively speaking, as the next point explains:
- Allow for freedom of will. Players are delicate, fragile things. Try not to make them feel that you can kill them with a click, or control their every move. People like their freedom so do not touch them.
- If you cannot leave real life problems behind, make sure to keep it away from the players.
- Do not act irresponsibly of your position.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Jun 23rd, '10, 16:59 
Level 12 Player Character

You know, when I read the title I was thinking... I'm being considered for a DM?! Woot!! *points to Usename*

hahahaha

But in all seriously, who can argue with your reasons?

They all sound very reasonable to me. Having a gut feeling is your right as the server owner. If you're not going to be comfortable and always wondering if a particular new DM might be an issue, then it's better to go with someone you feel better about.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Jun 23rd, '10, 20:25 
Twilight Council

There are people I can be certain about, that they are trustworthy. But they are very rare. Archer, Burn, Candeth, Wicked are the sort.

There are people that take time for me to know and be certain about. Vince, Shanks were those kind of people and I did not regret the wait. They're great too.

There are people who I won't name that show a personality flaw or two that will make things blow up and out of proportion not because they are bad people but because that's how nwn dming goes with some things.

And finally there are those who seek to rise to power... those that think they can backdoor into the team and then take over. I haven't seen any of those recently but they are hard to spot most of the time anyway. Who knows, maybe Vince is planning to take over!
But back to seriousness... Those people are denied and ragequit usually with some bullshit reason, most often blaming me for their misery.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Jun 23rd, '10, 22:11 
Level 3 Player Character

Well in case you were ever wondering, Glor, I don't want to become a DM here. I've had my fun (and anguish) DMing on other servers and I'm done with it, so you needn't worry about me attempting any coups or the like... though believe me, I completely empathize with your position and the precautions you have to take. Being labeled the bad guy ad nauseum for all eternity isn't something I would've willingly chosen, but it happens.

I don't know exactly what inspired you to make the post, but I hope that things settle down and become peaceful again. Just know that at least this player is extremely appreciative for a nice place to stay, relax, and RP... so I hope that helps you feel a bit better.

Cheers!

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Jun 24th, '10, 00:53 
Twilight Council

*Sharpens Knife in shadows*

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Jun 24th, '10, 06:29 
Twilight Council

No drama really. I just got asked so much in the past few weeks that I thought I'd clear these things out.
Some conflict did happen but it was resolved just as swiftly.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Jun 24th, '10, 15:34 
Level 7 Player Character

I've never DMed before. But it's because I've never wanted to rise to anything more than being a player. It's not because I didn't think I could handle the responsibility, but because I never wanted to put myself up there, above anyone else. I always thought of a server as a community of players. Even if one is a DM, they still play, and still play with others. If there were no DMs, the game would be lackluster. If there were no players, the game would have no point.

I've had DMs in the past who never followed those rules, and were picked eventually for the sole purpose of rising to power, or filling a spot, or because they applied and the rest of the staff didn't want to say no. I've seen DMs who I played with as players rise to the position and then forget why they played the game as players in the first place.

DM Heretic, DM Fallen, DM Mephisto.

Maybe they will read this. Maybe it will get to them, who knows. But the worst part of my old server was the ability of the staff to ruin player's enjoyment so much that they literally had to log in, put their heads down and just try and RP through the bullshit. When it came down to making a decision, such as a system, or the outcome of an event, or the fate of a faction such as the Red Vardo, if the team had an opportunity to enhance the fun-factor for players, or destroy any chance of hope both IC and OOCly, they most always chose the latter.

Sorry, but I refuse to accept that as the best way to do things. That's why the staff called me a Champion, and a White Knight, is because I stood up to that bullshit after seeing it happen for the last 3 years I was there, and standing up to it during my last.

I think the pinnacle example of this is when Juli, a player who played here was forced to sign a contract to obtain the Assassin PrC with her character Jessalyn. The contract stated that she would recieve it, but only if she was to send a tell OOCly before engaging in PvP with the character. She agreed...a week later, her other character Johanna and my own Leon had a dispute with a well known, not so well played Paladin. Acting evil, this paladin attacked Johanna simply because she did not like her, holy sword drawn. Leon was the one to kill her. Johanna sent a PM to the DMs including a screenshot of what happened, along with an OOC statement made by this Paladin in the midst of many other players saying "//See, this is the type of bullshit I have to constantly put up with from you people."

The DM, Mephisto's reaction was to ask Juli if she had sent an OOC tell warning about PvP. When she stated she gave 10 seconds after clicking "hostile" (server rules), he told her she had broken the contract. Juli had 4 characters with PrCs, and in retribution for her "actions", the staff agreed that all her PrCs were to be stripped from her characters. Because she came to them with a concern. I rarely do this, but here's the conversation I had with the owner of the server about what was going on when Juli wanted to quit:

When I was banned a few weeks later for standing up to a well known powergriever of 4 years (Our own IvarNoneck eventually permakilled that powergamer's main PC, Go Air Support!!), my biggest fear was that I left RP unfinished, and the four people I was working with to gain them PrCs wouldn't get that screenshots I had promised to give them. I gave them to the owner of the server to give to them after HE banned me. He never gave them, so I eventually found a way to get them to the players myself.

I show this only to enhance the perception we all share that THIS is a great server, we do great things here, the roleplay is unpredictable, refreshing, and free. We've got a great DM Team who all have their own styles of bringing enjoyment to the server, and things hardly ever seem restrictive from a RP perspective. One shouldn't dwell in the past, but remember it because that path got you where you are today. PoTM took me five years to get me to Kymlun. And I do have Juli to thank for me being here right now.

Here, what you put in to the server is what you get back, and one of the reasons this server is so great is because we are a tightly knit group, like family. The DMs are aware of everyone, how they play, what they like and the type of care granted 90% of the time is extraordinary.

Awareness and Understanding are two more things I feel make a great DM. And every DM here on Kymlun has those two things. That being said, yes people make mistakes, have their faith shaken, fall off the horse, etc...but it's important to understand why that is. And especially if they get back up on the horse, don't hold it against them.

-We- play as a community here. In my mind, nobody should be held in more esteem than anyone else (Save for Glor, who busts his ass to make this place possible), because we all work hard in our own way to be here when we can, play here when we can, and since we're so close, enhance the immersion that is Kymlun to everyone else when we can. And our server is Win ;)

That all being said...how can I apply for a Builder's position? Got some nice ideas :)

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Jul 1st, '10, 03:47 
Level 4 Player Character

*Steals Vince's Knives* :twisted:

Offline Profile