Login | Register

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

It is currently Mar 28th, '24, 20:17

Post subject: Tedium
PostPosted: Jun 28th, '10, 22:45 
Twilight Council

Hi guys.

I'm beginning to find my motivation for DMing dwaining away. It would seem that whatever instance of whatever happens, you all seem to refer to 'us', being the DM team, as one, and that we, essentially, fail to meet the standards you are looking for.

Personally I have tried nonlinear quests which span the whole of the world with vast, vast amounts of feedback for you to use, RP, i've given new people the opportunity to take war wounds as a result of the quest for instance, I've plagued the surrounding areas of woodlands with undead to try and make travelling at night a bit scarier... I've done moshes, I've done puzzles, but nothing works.

You each claim that there is no low level stuff for you to reach epic with. There was, until I lost my apples. I fail to see why I should pick them up again when people are just racing for 40 with monsters so, here's your opportunity to convince me.

If I spend hours writing feedback, are you going to even see it? If I continue the tombs plot, are you even going to react or explore, or are you going to sit in hope that something occurs? Because in nonlinear quests, the bad guys act too.

So, since we suck so bad, why don't you tell me now what you want from us, and if it's -different- to something I've done in the past, I'll spin on a dime and put more effort into spending hours writing global events for you to react to.

You show me that it works and how it works and when I've recovered from the shock I will take a compass and carve 'Fancy That' on the side of my cock.

Proceed.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Tedium
PostPosted: Jun 28th, '10, 23:00 
Twilight Council

I do see this side of the problem too. To be honest as Lore always says, players don't always know what they want. Or most of the time they don't. This puts us in a very uncomfortable situation.

Throughout the years I've learned that there is a cycle to every sort of social interaction.
1. Starting flare - this is where it's still new and exciting.
2. Try and do - this is where we go for it with expectations.
3. Wane - this is where we realize that expectations aren't met.

Reinforced by my university studies though in socialpsychology it is called something else but I learned that on my own language so let's stick to these.

As time goes by those who are a bit more aware of themselves realize that the new and exciting simply stems from what we imagine it all as.

Trying and doing are well and good but if we do not realize that rushing down the path we miss all the sights, it just wasn't worth walking.

And finally, it only ever wanes if you cannot fulfill it. Expectations are always based on preconceptions, and usually will wane. Wise people try and turn it all into experience and make the best of it.

As an end note, I don't think the dms who are doing stuff, are doing anything wrong. We are all human. The major problem comes from the collision of expectations vs responsibility where the players hope much from the DMs and the DMs hope much from the players.

The secret of my personal success as DM is that I just enjoy what I'm doing. My damnation is that I cannot be multiple people at the same time to please everybody.

Expectations = bad
Having fun = good

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Jun 29th, '10, 03:05 
Level 6 Player Character

Ok its been awhile since I was low level..but that leads to my first question. What is low level? 1-5? 1-10? 1-20? That's something I've been confused on a little bit.

Also when I first got here, Candeth helped dm with me a little bit by doing a few impromptu events. Nothing really big just something simple, for example, I had a living battle axe that he created. It had a story and I found it through a random event where I was off clearing the wolf cave in the crossroads. I had a random event and from there I had to keep up with axe and whenever he felt like dming some random event with me, he would activate the axe and we would do something whether it was kill a few monsters or rp the axe's back story. I think those little things can help impact a player a bit. Plus I know I was around the 10-20 levels. Maybe that could help break the boredom sometimes, Little events like that with a few people here and there could make a person feel like they are doing something.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Jun 29th, '10, 03:13 
Level 5 Player Character

Sometimes it can be easy to forget to count your blessings. Personally, I'm thankful for everything you do Vince. I was actually thrilled when you had a wraith chase one of my characters around the countryside for a bit, however brief that it may have been. You have no idea how many DMs would never bother to do small things like that on other servers, especially ones I've played on.

So I'll just throw it out there; Thank you Vince for everything you have done.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Jun 29th, '10, 03:24 
Level 7 Player Character

High hopes is good, low-moderate expectations. Whenever people expect something (Or TOO much), and it doesn't work out, there's that feeling. Everyone knows the feeling.

I don't want that feeling in a game I enjoy. I came to the server myself with high hopes, and I'm finding things still very enjoyable. What I hoped to find is here.

All the quests I've run through with any DM here are non-linear, fun, and are generally broad based meaning everyone can play their characters at the time, add to the immersion, and contribute.

All the player characters about the realm each bring an originality that if even one person were gone, we as players would notice. You can't find that elsewhere.

I'm not for griping either, but Vince, Glor, Gal, Archer, and Shankles are all not just staff, but long standing players who are all willing to make the server more enjoyable, and enhance everyone's roleplay. If you have an idea for your character, or a plot in general...voice it to them.

The only way nastalgia sets in is when people stop playing as a community. I'm not saying that's happened yet, far from it, but I definately don't wish to see it.

It's summertime, a lot of people are busy with parties and alcohol and naked men/women depending on your chosen preference, I can't blame them. But

My only advice is to give a thumbs up to everyone, and say thank you, and keep gaming on.

And Vince, please don't whip out your Lo Wang....which he chased with wraiths and creepy things all the way to Solinar with him screaming "ASSIST ME!"

<3 U Guise.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Jun 29th, '10, 06:15 
Level 12 Player Character

I have no bad feelings on any of the DM's here, to me you guys have been great. I have had more attention here then on my last servers combined in just my short time. DM's answer me right away, they give their oppinions to my questions and they do their best to make sure to take the time to see to it that I get the answer I am looking for.

I'm happy here and I hope to stick around until the server dies or I stop playing NWN for some reason.

Offline Profile