[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
forum.kymlun.com • View topic - Raise Dead and Ressurrection

Login | Register

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

It is currently Oct 6th, '22, 15:06

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Apr 21st, '09, 15:37 
Level 3 Player Character

Even without faith tokens? Every time I've died with faith tokens, I've went to the start of the current level. Now, I can't say that I know how it is to die with no faith tokens left, but it it's supposed to be a worse penalty - doesn't respawning without any faith tokens delevel? If not, what is the function of a faith token in the trade? Does it step in at bigger levels to mellow the xp penalty? If so, we truly are where I would rather be. No need to make death too mellow, after all. Then it's just a death and respawn cycle all over.

(A lot of this rule / information stuff is actually pretty well hidden and hard to research. For one, I had no idea that all elves go to a certain order of elven magi if they are wizards (it doesn't really say it anywhere..) and I have no idea what it means to "live by the old way" when it comes to elven aging. A lot of those spell changes were rather shady too before I asked.

Even if it's beside the point, I wouldn't mind knowing what does it mean by live the old way to elves.)

All I want is more, cos I like it
Too good to let it go, keep it coming
Cos I want more, cos I'm not sure
What I really wanted, so all I want is more

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Apr 21st, '09, 15:41 
Masters of Fate

I will agree with you about Lore being difficult to find, Alchaine, and I've brought that up in the past. I really do think that the Lore section should be reorganized and elaborated on, especially since we're playing in a custom setting, and such Lore is integral to being able to role-play to the best of one's ability in that setting.

I do know that Glortor is currently working on the website, and transferring all of the Lore to that location, but I'll see if I can't do something temporary while we wait, to at least make the search a bit easier, when I have free time.

A Wiki would be awesome. o_O

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Apr 21st, '09, 16:11 
Twilight Council

Without faith tokens you either lose a level and a half's worth of xp upon respawning if you're not in the epic levels, or else you can't respawn and will have to wait for a cleric. If there is no cleric, the epic character will be considered dead permanently and it takes a DMed event by other players to change that.
So far, I think that's never happened . Though Pelgrin did threaten to run out of tokens at one stage.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Apr 21st, '09, 16:50 
Twilight Council

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Apr 21st, '09, 18:39 
Level 5 Player Character

*sighs* This is getting more and more ridiculous. I've spent years on servers where the -only- death system was...die and you drop to halfway your -previous level. So, 1xp from lvl6? Too bad, you drop to lvl4, halfway in xp to lvl5. No discussion. One rule. If you would have 10.000 gold you might consider a True Resurrection, but, too bad, the server doesn't -have- an NPC cleric high enough. And the wealthiest character would be an elven ranger that had some 6.000 gold, gained in over 5 years of playing.

My question is....what makes Kymlun's death system too hard?
I haven't found a single reason to have a problem with it.
Sure, there -are- servers that will let you respawn at 50gold per level...no matter if you're level1 or level40. And no xp costs. Great, right? Seen characters there die in a fight, respawn, die, respawn, die, respawn, untill I wasn't sure anymore where the -adventure- took place.....since most spent 70% of their time respawning, waiting in line at the respawn-NPC.
Mind you, that server had 1 dm for the rare occasions players would show up that would want to RP something. When I applied, he landed a Red Dragon on my lvl5 monk...........but that's beside the point.

*shrugs* Never mind my rambling.

I come here to play, and if my char would die, I hope there will be some RP around an eventual raise...if not, respawn, so I can continue playing.
That's all.

SP

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Apr 22nd, '09, 00:24 
Level 15 Player Character

Ravenloft setting (low magic), might be worth considering:
- No gold/xp penalty on raise dead/ressurection.
- No requirement for diamonds.
- No ressurection rods and very very rare raise dead/ressurection spell scrolls/items.
- Respawn penalties harsher, the higher your level.
- Dead players remain in spirit form (fugue) until ressurected or respawned. They can enter back into the world as spirit form (invisible, slow walking, immune to all status and damage, unable to use items, pick up/drop items) and guide the living to their own bodies, or they can enter the 'bright light' and respawn at high cost.
- Clerics are respected for their raise dead/ressurection ability.
- Temporary player corpses.
- NPC clerics to charge 500 gold/per level to ressurect player corpses.

This has the effect that:
- People are scared of dying due to potential harsh respawn penalty.
- People adventure in groups just in case the survivor can carry your corpse back to the NPC.
- Clerics usually are welcomed and are given freedom in their roles to raise if they wish to. Some ask for repayment, some do it for goodness.
- Players that ressurect their mates have to pay 500 gold per level of the person raised, which may get them asking for repayment or to think twice about carelessly ressurecting a stranger.

Is this sort of system what we were aiming for?
- Collaboration, teamwork
- Harsh respawn penalties
- Fair to clerics
- Death being treated with respect

With rocks, and stones, and trees."

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Apr 22nd, '09, 00:35 
Masters of Fate

After reading that over, that sounds highly appealing to me, personally, and something that can easily be incorporated into the environ of the server. Thank you for the write-up, Acid.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Apr 22nd, '09, 02:01 
Twilight Council

That's the system I was originally proposing years back. It's the same as Nordock's.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Apr 22nd, '09, 02:05 
Twilight Council

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Apr 22nd, '09, 03:35 
Masters of Fate

You never mentioned a wiki. <_< I thought you just wanted me to tweak the site. But okeh. I would need -info- to put on said Wiki though, so I have to trudge through things anyway. :P

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Apr 22nd, '09, 03:49 
Twilight Council

Prod me anytime. I'm also working on articles but wikiness would be even better.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: May 11th, '09, 19:21 
Level 5 Player Character

Put it here, since this seems most closely to the subject.

One of my chars got hold of some, I was told, diamonds, usable for the resurrection/raise dead spells.....well, seems they don't work. After completing the spell there is this message that a component is missing...being the diamond.

Just thought it might be important.

SP

ps. The component -was- in a *normal* magic bag, so not open in inventory, nor in a special components-bag...maybe that matters?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: May 11th, '09, 19:42 
Twilight Council

It does need to be in a special spell component bag, yes. I'm not sure if those are currently being sold but if not, that will be fixed with the next store update.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: May 12th, '09, 11:44 
Twilight Council

I would need the item tag or an erf with the item.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: May 12th, '09, 12:33 
Twilight Council

The spell component bag is already on the palette. They used to be for sale at magic shops.

Offline Profile  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next