[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
forum.kymlun.com • View topic - How to greet new players.

Login | Register

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

It is currently Oct 6th, '22, 15:14

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted: Apr 24th, '10, 17:16 
Level 1 Player Character

Hi, I was going to play on your server, but I won't be now. But I thought I could give a few pointers so the mistakes made with me arent repeated.

Just because someone does not want to be in a giant party does not mean they don't want to roll play with you. I for one find the ooc chat annoying and don't want the ooc information on where everyone is. Just because it isn't the common practice does not make the person anti social or not willing to rp.

Do not make false accusations against people. My second session and someone is telling me I have double standards not wanting ooc information but I am asking my friend for directions. I never did this, so I took the comment as offensive and could not understand this persons issue.

Just because someone leaves a scene doesn't mean they don't want to rp, sometimes the act is rping. My character gets lectured about not wearing armour, gets tired of being scolded and decides to leave. This raises red flags about my willingness to rp...whatever.

I think you have a very pretty server and some great things going for it with some very friendly and helpful people. However after feeling judged and harassed because someone thinks they know who I am and how I play is just offensive. I would take that person off your welcoming comittee.

Taty

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Apr 24th, '10, 17:27 
Masters of Fate

Taty,

I am very, very sorry that you had that experience after joining the module, and I'm personally upset that you no longer wish to join us because of it. The issue will be looked into, because frankly, no one should be judged on how they choose to roleplay. This module was always good for that in the past.

Deep apologies, and I hope that one day you choose to come back.

~G.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Apr 24th, '10, 19:54 
Twilight Council

Taty,

It is always unfortunate when a player decides that the server is not for them, however, if that happens, it is usually for the better for both that player and the server.

Kymlun is, above all, a community. For a lot of us this has been where we made life-long friendships and where we shared our real life cheer and tear at times. For others this has been a well of endless frustration, they have left us. That is to say you wouldn't be the first one to leave us for not feeling part of it, and rest assured, you are always welcome to return if you feel that you can find yourself some effort to get to know something new.

Our customs include OOC privacy where you are only found OOC if necessary, but the party does make it easier for people to do so. The custom is very simple: If you are in a public zone such as Myst Forest, chances are a character may "accidentally" stumble upon you, while private zones such as rooms, nooks and crannies are off limits without predefined consent.

Also, please note the above: it is a community, it is a story we are all part of, and by no means should you feel pressed, but rather encouraged to take part. If you feel that you cannot socialize OOC perhaps you should find yourself a less ooc-intensive server, where people are less likely to welcome you their own way and you are less likely to take offence - or turn off Party Chat entirely.

Please do not worry yourself too much about what other people say or do. If you do, you just further miscommunicate the situation. Taking offence immediately without clarifying a situation usually leads to more conflict and in the end conflict means wasted energy.

Personally I believe that when there is an issue, both ends are to blame. Both said player for not leaving it to a DM to assess the situation (Or DM for acting as DM from the player client - which I have to learn myself, guilty as charged.) and yourself for taking it so far.

On the bright side thank you for your contribution and opinion on how to greet new players, even though our way has worked for eight years so far, perhaps there is still room for improvement, like there should be.

Remember that in the end this is just a game.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Apr 24th, '10, 20:50 
Level 7 Player Character

Oh god, that is SO TRUE!!!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Apr 25th, '10, 00:18 
Level 1 Player Character

Lol , I've been told. You don't like the giant party move on...Some guy accuses of me of meta gaming, probably both our faults and better I move on...hmm, you aren't the guy who was bothering me were you ?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Apr 25th, '10, 06:01 
Level 7 Player Character

I love the gigantic party, because it is like a gigantic party. Everyone can communicate with their friends OOCly whenever they want, while maintaining their IC-ness as they wish.

Taty, you're always welcome to try again. Do not let one rough occurance steer you away from a positive and professional RP environment.

-Aldarris

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Apr 25th, '10, 10:27 
Level 4 Player Character

Good lord people ,
its nice none of you are doctors. You all but Galiae failed your bedside manners. Just an idea but could you be nice to a player and talk to her about whats going on before you tell her if she does not like the server to leave? :? :? :?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Apr 25th, '10, 10:41 
Level 6 Player Character

Ok, can we close this thread? Not cause of what happened but because this can lead to a he said she said fight over the forums and I believe that we all don't want that.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Apr 25th, '10, 12:59 
Level 12 Player Character

Taty1, just remember, you spoke of one person mistreating you... what about the other 10+ players?

You decided to leave based off one person, or even if maybe it was 2, you never gave anyone else a chance to show you a good time.

Sorry that you're leaving, hope you change your mind and stick around.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Apr 25th, '10, 13:36 
Twilight Council

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Apr 25th, '10, 18:32 
Twilight Council

Accusations of metagaming should be taken quite seriously in my oppinion and those who do it should be shown the error of their ways, but if it was an unjust claim, the best thing to do would be to either ignore the person who claims you're doing it and simply carry on and find some one else, or tell a DM and take screenshots of both the accusation and your current actions.

The downside to the party is that everyone can see where you are. On the other hand the world consists of 100+ areas and for the most part the majority of people don't have as many hours in the week to explore to try to find a bit of RP. The reason for the party as said above is for ease of navigation but the best way to negate it is to accept the party invite and then declare your abstenance from it and then drop party. 9 times out of 10, people won't invite you to party after that.

There is also an option to turn off the pop up window by hitting "Never show this again". It can be undone in your preferences after (your ini file i believe), but this will essentially stop the window popping up. Where you will still recieve invites, the message will appear in your server window and you'd have to type /accept or /decline based on your wants or needs (or ignore it), through which medium you could accept only when it suits your character, or merely dish out the invites yourself.

I tend to agree this this was handled poorly. The way you've worded things, psychologically, has triggered defensive outbursts from the majority who feel it is their right to defend their oppinion, and so it is. As it is yours to express your own. If there's anything we can do to handle this let us know. I'd be appreciative of a name which you should PM me rather than posting here, and we can gather both ends of the story and come up with a conclusion.

Cheers!

Vince.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Apr 25th, '10, 21:28 
Twilight Council

Having explored the story it seems that you've oversold your story. Kymlun is a high magic system and high magic clothing is provided from the offset, if you choose to ignore it people are going to suggest you get it. That's a given. Ignore that, and you'll die a lot, and won't have fun. It would appear that people were both trying to help you and RP with you from the offset, but evidently used methods which sent you away. Personally I don't see why or how that has happened, from what i've read they were being perfectly nice and trying to get you off on the right foot.

It would seem that OOC manerisms and IC manerisms were misplaced if not gone completely and that if you responded to tells it was in a sort of passive aggressive manner -- blunt, to the point, uncaring, calous, similar words. This suggests that you didn't really want to be here in the first place. There are varying levels of roleplay here from people who prefer it short and sweet to people who prefer it epic length, people who are aggressive and people who are passive but it would seems as though, by your own feedback and that of others, you simply wanted to be left alone.

I'd suggest an action server. You have to get involved in this server, you need to be social and you need to wind your way into the story. Wandering off will get you killed, alienated and ultimately ignored. Perhaps come out of your shell and make a character who will get involved with things and talk, put aside a flavour for fashion and wear the robes provided; ultimately you'll get better items when you level up anyway and you only need to wear the armour when you're fighting. It's not like the knights used to constantly wear armour, so, you can put as many robes and clothes in your inventory which suit your fashion sense as you so please.

Failing that, there's always Ravenloft.

Thanks,

Vince.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Apr 26th, '10, 00:53 
Furfag

I really love the community here, well said Vince~

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Apr 26th, '10, 04:17 
Level 1 Player Character

LOL, Well Vince if somehow me delaying putting on my school uniform until I can alter its look (which I did) is a huge issue I apologize. I thought I'd rp being vain. That I was roleplaying with another person who was showing me around IC illustrates the inaccuracey of your assessment. Your suggestion I should play on action servers is laughable and your conclusions one sided. The half dozen people I know who play on this server can easily inform you that you have decided I am someone very different from reality(except for one who tends to change their opinion to suit the people they are with).

Lets just agree to disagree. I wish you the best of luck.

Taty

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Apr 26th, '10, 07:10 
Twilight Council

I think we have reached the conclusion that you do not want to play here. Any reason you are still here then?
Play or go.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next