[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
forum.kymlun.com • View topic - My first vent

Login | Register

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

It is currently Oct 6th, '22, 16:46

Post subject: My first vent
PostPosted: May 31st, '10, 16:32 
Level 12 Player Character

Sorry to say it guys, but I was disapointed today in what occured with Boffo. He threatened to blow everyone up, no one took him seriously even though he planted a big explosive and rigged it in the middle of everyone and then set it off, killing a person and everyone present acted like it was nothing except Kincaid. And from what I gathered... those gathered were /suppost/ to be the types to deal with it.

This disapointed me greatly today, I think sometimes you're to good and decent of people to want to cause issues for a PC that causes trouble ic, but that is ooc, and we have to remember that when a PC does something worthy of getting them in trouble, even death, that it's IC and we should do what our PC's would do.

I won't say who was involved as those reading will know who they are and for those that don't know can just read about it.

edit- I'm not actually calling anyone bad people or anything, what occured isn't enough to make me suddenly despise anyone or want to stop rping with you or anything, I just hope my message hits home a little bit.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: My first vent
PostPosted: May 31st, '10, 18:20 
Level 5 Player Character

I was mostly afk for the entire event but I know where you're coming from. On more than one occasion I have said to certain people that I feel that bad things are not allowed to happen here and therefore people just ignore when things finally do.

I often get disappointed because of things like this, so I know where you are coming from.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: May 31st, '10, 20:25 
Masters of Fate

A few things to consider. First, interactivity. Sometimes players (and DMs) give others time to type emotes and read their own, sometimes they click-click-click away, power narrate and assume nobody can or will do a damn thing about what's going on. I much prefer the former style, personally.

Second, perception. "Everyone except Character X acted so-and-so" may or may not be accurate. It seems you missed the calls to bring the troublemaker to justice. It's also unclear whether or not it was murder. Can fey really die in the mortal realm?

And then... keeping things IC, respectively. Neutral factions are not supposed to meddle with things like Solinar's law. Being that a powerful Solinarian authority figure was present, and no commoners were in danger, there was no need to interfere. Sure, if help had been requested, it would have been given. Boffo setting off an explosive didn't prompt Lotus retaliation because the law was present. Boffo casting a spell at the group of three girls earned him a kick in the nuts, as was to be expected.

Finally, I agree. If someone does something worthy of jail time, death sentence or whatever punishment, toss 'em in a cell and let them escape or be ransomed, or be put to death or whatever fits the situation. Both bad things happening and actions having consequences would benefit the setting.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: May 31st, '10, 21:06 
Twilight Council

I was afk. Did Atherin do anything about this?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: May 31st, '10, 21:37 
Level 12 Player Character

All what you said is true, I guess I misunderstood how things were meant to be. For this, I apologize, as well not considering what you said about why no one did anything to my view points at the time.

All things considered my vent was well handled. Thank you. :)

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: May 31st, '10, 22:21 
Twilight Council

Tbh, if I was online I'd have applauded you and helped you escape from a hoard of guards. But i had to crash at about 10 am. Can't be awake forever =( Sorry pal.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: May 31st, '10, 22:50 
Level 7 Player Character

Bad things happen, sure, but it's important to stay IC to uphold that feeling immersion. Good, neutrality, evilness would react differently, so would different characters in general.

To just say 'eh' and *shrug* is like...totally frustrating.

We have entirely few PC villians as it is, and I understand the Preservers and Crusaders are getting a bit more accessability. I'd hate to see a constant faction vs. faction ping-pong thing pop up like Anphilla (God, that server was such a joke)....but I think it WOULD be awesome for villians to come together and put OOCly responsible, sadisticly IC player-driven events together for other players to enjoy, and bring a bit of rivalry into the game.

Balance is key, isn't it? Squee.

I intend to make a player-driven faction with Vicho eventually that would be supremely evil. Anyone interested send me a shout =).

The rules? No forceable permadeath on a PC without the player's consent, and before engaging in PvP the good old "Hey man, you don't mind if we do this, do you? =)"

Bad things WILL happen...oh yes, they will.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: May 31st, '10, 23:38 
Twilight Council

I'm not even sure what you mean by "bad things are not allowed to happen". Consent, nuff said. We are trying to play maturely here. If such is even possible.

As for perm death, I'll put it out for everybody to see. Only DM Leaders (Archer, myself, Loreweaver) can say goodbye to a character without player consent, if we see IC and OOC components against allowing the character to be present any longer.
Also some of my events do that, but players are warned before joining such an event.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Jun 1st, '10, 00:03 
Masters of Fate

I was present at the time of this occurance, as I had spawned the tiny brownie-seller, which was murdered by the explosion the gnome triggered.

More info will stay under DM eyes.

Ath

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Jun 1st, '10, 13:40 
Level 6 Player Character

I can't really do shit to Boffo, I even had him arrested, only to see the gnome waltz right out of jail five minutes later, ignore Lucas and keep walking like a fucking murder charge can be waved off, and I feel I didn't get a proper chance to stomp his murdering ass beneath a Solinar jackboot.

I feel that needs to stop, no matter how god damn batshit fucking crazy your PC is: A murder charge is serious, the Warlord himself is breathing down your neck, it's not something you can just shrug off and keep walking.

On the other hand, what do you want Lucas to do? Mercilessly hound and perma kill him? No, he's reasonable, wise enough, maybe not enough of a "hardcore paladin" to chase an insane gnome down and start a big song and dance about it.

Issue two:

EDIT: Actualy, screw this. I arrested someone for fucking murder and blowing shit up, yet he was walking right out of jail -before- I could even arrive to do anything. How did that happen? How did he manage to get out of jail?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Jun 1st, '10, 15:11 
Twilight Council

I'm hoping Atherin would know.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Jun 1st, '10, 15:32 
Masters of Fate

I had no hand in the gnome's escape, nor did I know how.
Sadly, only way out is the known magic container box bug.
Otherwise, it's impossible to escape from Solinar's Prison. *Anti-magic ward and unbreakable doors*

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Jun 1st, '10, 17:09 
Masters of Fate

The Unbiased Opinion of DM Persephone:

Please take the below with a spoonful of sugar, as it is in no way meant to offend anyone--instead meant to point out something that has appeared to be generally amiss in the eyes of aforementioned DM.

I'll try to keep my statement here short and sweet because I'm a busy lass these days.

I wasn't present for this, obviously, but I will say that lately I've been highly frustrated with how...lax...everything is generally taken in events--whether they be player-spawned or DM driven. It's greatly disappointing when something is going on that should logically prompt some form of emotional response or reaction, and yet it is instead taken with little to no seriousness, or taken with jesting or complete apathy. In my opinion, it should have nothing to do with "faction" and more the personal morals of a character, and I highly doubt that the majority of the characters on Kymlun are so un-serious and apathetic, or have nerves of steel. .__.

But yes, I thought this would be a grand time to say that I've been a bit disappointed. When something is occurring--especially during an event--that is blatantly meant to provoke aforementioned emotional responses or reactions, and it is instead treated like a pleasant spring picnic, it is both greatly distracting to those who are taking it seriously, as well as being a complete mood-killer. It is also frustrating for the DMs and the players who are trying to prompt said response. Not everything is sunshine and rainbows, as many have learned, and both players and DMs try hard to provide a more serious, perplexing, and intriguing environment because of this.

From a personal standpoint, if there is a crazed gnome with a bomb, regardless of whether an official is present, Galiae is going to panic and try to damage-control. If a monster shows up and starts strolling along with the party, unless said monster is her husband she's going to be blatantly effected and unnerved instead of shrugging her shoulders and thinking "oh, I've seen worse".

But then again, that is my character, and that is how I play her. Every person plays their character how they want to play their character, yet it is still odd and demotivating to see the commonplace attitude of "meh" every time something happens.

If there is a palemaster, crazy gnome, monster, meteor shower, giant worm, acid rain storm, or any other such unnatural occurrence, it isn't hard to imagine that one can stop gossiping or playing checkers to address said situation in a manner that goes beyond a lax attitude and jesting. If you ignore/jest at an evil creature, it is going to try and kill you. It will not care what level you are, or what faction you are, or what important person you know, or if you've seen gods and archdevils before.

Again, this is my speaking generally to the playerbase from the standpoint of an unbiased DM. I am not trying to tell you how to play your characters, as that goes against everything this server stands for. Rather, I am--again--simply pointing out something that has made me raise a brow from a DM's point of view. Please be aware that this does not occur all of the time, but now that I've noticed it, I felt the need to say something. I apologize to you all.

Please, keep up the great work in roleplay. Everyone has been doing an amazing job, and I'm eager to come back and rejoin you all in the coming days.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Jun 1st, '10, 19:57 
Masters of Fate

To spare the sands, the seas, the skies
I offer thee this silent sacrifice."

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Jun 1st, '10, 20:48 
Twilight Council

I try to play my character as an emotionless git typically. He doesnt fear the concept of dying because, to him, his storyline has lead him to beleive that one way or another he'll die, or could die, if he does, or does not act. Similarly in certain situations, he'll look to situations as second nature. A pit full of undead for example, likely wouldn't phase him too much in a fear sense but would probably prompt caution.

Devils and Demons will likely anger him, where angels will probably cause intimidation for not wanting to lose his eyesight. He is by no means unphasable, it's just rare that something comes along that will phase him, and when it does I try to act accordingly.

I felt necessary to defend my post somewhat! But I totally agree with the above. Thing should be taken seriously and emotions should be roleplayed. If you're a level 7 fighter for example, displaying a fearless external presence, chances are you won't last very long at all! :D

Offline Profile