Login | Register

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

It is currently Mar 28th, '24, 20:06

Post subject: A concern
PostPosted: Jun 28th, '10, 21:57 
Level 12 Player Character

Wether or not this concern warrants any merit or not, it has come up to me a few times just talking with various players and I feel that it should be addressed, wether to defend against it, assure the players or explain the reasoning of their concerns.

I have been told that Kymlun is a server for already established heroes. What they mean is, it's far more often then not, the high lvl players getting the plots, and even though low levels can tag along at times, the spot light is on the high levels.

This relates I am assuming to the high powered campaigns that occur frequantly. I am also told that lower level pc's don't get the chance to become great, unless it's tagging along on a trip with the epics and then the low level suddenly becomes epic without so much of a story line, other then "I got to survive a epic event, therefor, I am now epics and all I got to do was witness and die a few times in it.'

I think what the players that are concerned are looking for are DM's to assist in their characters plot to epicness and more plots evolved around rp then huge server events and scripted outcomes. Where the plot has to go a certain way.

That brings up another concern, where as in some feel that they are told how and what to rp and aren't given the freedom to make their own choice, and feel that if they do, they are punished by DM's saying "Go ahead, you can make your own choice if you /want/ but don't expect me to continue plotting you, cause you aren't doing as I want you to do, or what makes sense for what I think you should be doing."

They feel that the DM's get an idea in their head of what your character should be doing and how they should be acting and if it doesn't conform... no more DM attention or severely limited.

I have no idea if any of this is true. I personally haven't had much of an issue of this myself, only feel a little that the big plots are to much vs little plots.

When I made my last comment that I don't see little events spur up often, I was told I was unlucky and they occur alot, and sure enough, there were quite a few... then it died almost completely again.

So, at any rate, felt this should be addressed, this is not a rant at all, I just feel the players and DM's need to reconnect a bit.

Thanks for your time. :)

PS Complaints on to many people just grinding all the time has come up and not enough time spent actually rping.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: A concern
PostPosted: Jun 28th, '10, 22:03 
Twilight Council

I've run events for lowbiesa few times actually. I've also run events which don't require combat at all! I've even run events which involve puzzles to achieve. I've run events where the player has to use his or her brain to achieve the outcome, rather than stats! Imagine that! Generally these are not well recieved because people, as a whole, are thick and get cranky when there's nothing to hit with a sword. ^^ But they are present.

With regards to the level dealio, it becomes impossible to ballance combat with high levels involved. However if you're smarter than the average grinder then you're set in most of my campaigns. =) I tend not to run events per say because I hate not having the ability to use prescripted stuff.

Edit: Also, all of my stuff is nonlinear. What happens is, despite global events, everyone sits by a tree and never bothers to explore or investigate the occurances and just endures acid rain or wahtever's going on, accepting it as 'one of dem fings'. So, from my personal point of view, I'm totally burned out of energy for trying to run the sort of things which let players take the lead. Because they don't. If you want something to do, something to build around your characters and something to help shape the world, then, examine this: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=2492

I'm not actively running it anymore because of a lack of interest from the Elf/Good guy DM's, and people possessing elves as though the summer days had been pressy and the morning due had awoken them with smiles and glee rather than them having to fight for their lives for the past X whilst players try to find out why. But have a read all the same. Maybe it will put a spine to what i've written.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Jun 28th, '10, 22:20 
Masters of Fate

There have in fact been a good deal of "epic" events lately, though that's simply because of the current status of the Kymlun world right now, and many of those events being related to Hellraiser. This isn't always the case, however, and as Vince has pointed out, there are DMs who run for lowbies. I would do so more often once I balance my time out again.

Also, to be quite honest, of late I've felt like it's been the lower level characters and "newer" players that have been getting the bulk of the attention--which isn't a bad thing--though what I view may just be due to the times I've been on of late.

It's my personal opinion as both Player and DM that a person should be free to mould their character as they wish; to allow their story to grow and flow naturally with other characters and with the world. That's how I've always seen Kymlun. It isn't a DM's place to tell you how to play your character, because it's your character. A DM may influence events that ultimately shape your character, but how your character reacts to said events is ultimately up to you.

Kymlun is ultimately a dynamic world where in the end, the characters really do have the power to shape things, even if the results only seem small at first, the longer you spend on the server--in the world--you start to notice.

I hope that everyone's minds are eased soon, and that everyone continues to RP and help shape both their characters and the lives of those they touch.

~DM Persephone/G.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Jun 28th, '10, 22:51 
Twilight Council

The epic event season is down, Atherin is already plotting the next thing for lower level chars.

But yes I've heard that story before and frankly, here is how it really is.

In many cases the liking of rp comes from knowing stories and imagining one's self into it, either as one of the characters or as themselves. More advanced imagination may work out an actual character for this kind of thought process but still, this is where every kid starts to RP.

Kymlun is a lot like that story. It's not like there's no chance for a low level to interfere with the main plot line, but it takes some uncanny imagination and common sense to do so. Not to say that those who cannot manage that are less of a role player than the rest. That's not the case.

Fact of the matter is, being able to add to a story you, yourselves have to be writers too. I cannot stress the importance of using your own imagination in situations and doing it right.
Nobody is ignored, it's only that sometimes players tend to want to change the most impossible parts while letting up a chance to actually do something for whatever reason.

When I'm telling a story, there are three kinds of sequences.
1. Story sequence: When I run the world and I show you what is going on.
- This is not the time to try and shine because the world doesn't care.
- Instead try to take this in and process the information.
2. Plot drop: when your characters get involved with the above.
- This is when your character can show who he/she is. This is where leader types can take lead and intellectual types can make suggestions.
- This is also when your characters can interact with one another and establish connections.
3. Traverse: When your characters go somewhere, or do something.
- This is when your character can make a difference. Most of the time if you are sent to Zheradan to find a tomb you will go to Zheradan to find a tomb. In the rarest occasion has a character decided to go to the library and read up on Zheradan and tombs.
-Also this is where you do as you f'ing please. You can decide to be a hidrance to the plot, or to make your own solution. Only watch out for one thing: do not make it anti-clim. That can be pretty annoying for the other players.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Jun 29th, '10, 03:06 
Level 7 Player Character

I've seen plenty of times newbs were included, rewarded in plots, even epic ones so far my time here. Then again, I've seen events where lower levels were mostly left out.

So far in my eh, what...5 months here? I'd say I'm an epic newb.

There's always ways of improvement, whether it's developing a driving storyline as a player or as a DM, and just realizing everyone is here to play the same game, with the preferences they like, how they want so long as it's within the rules and provides immersion and enjoyment.

Free is gud.

Offline Profile