Login | Register

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

It is currently Mar 29th, '24, 15:26

PostPosted: Apr 13th, '10, 13:28 
Twilight Council

First off, I would like to thank everybody who contributed to Kymlun, as it is going on eight years now.
For second, I know that there are issues, there are always issues that need to be addressed, but in this post I will focus on letting everybody know what I think and what my intentions are regarding the server and the game play here.

1. WoW-infection
Let's address everybody's favorite pet peeve, the xp gain and how fast a character levels. I'll tell you what the idea was and you decide for yourself if you agree or you do not. This is how I intended it to be on Kymlun.
You see my general idea would be that nobody hurries to get level 4 but they focus on playing their roles instead.
But in the meantime I would like people to be able to get their levels without it being tedious when they do need to. I seriously hate forceful restrictions but I also hate a lack of reasonability. The other day I was told that a player left because I couldn't define what I meant by "Let RP decide when your character gains a level." Apparently I sounded offensive, I was just tired and spammed with tells about insignificant crap because people forget that DMs are people too sometimes. I sadly heard that the player left the server. I vaguely remember how it happened, it was very late over here when that happened and I just wanted to run an event for somebody without being disturbed.
We are people, we are different, and thus I can see something that some other people can't. I can see what "makes sense".

In this case, when I make a new character for the sole intention of role play, I want the freedom to decide when I take a level, but I also have the self control not to go and make 20 levels immediately. I focus on the character and on the story.
I realize that this idea might not be so clear and what "makes sense" varies by person.
I'm struggling with my creative mind, trying to find a way to explain how I see this.
But at this moment I can't, without making it a long rant and perhaps losing the point halfway through.
So I'll just say this. Focus on IC.

- Kymlun is a role playing story server. Focus on IC.
- On Kymlun the number one most important thing is playing a role, and telling a story by it. Focus on IC.
- Playing a role is part communication (How you interact) and part imagination (How fun it is for everybody involved.) Focus on IC.
- Without making this a lengthly rant, all I can say is do not hurry to make a powerful character. Haste makes waste. Instead sit down, think it through, think of the personality and the traits, think of what you like. (Ask me for help via forum pm if you need to.) Special requests can be made to the DM team if we know you well enough to be sure you won't be a disappointment.

Finally. What do I call going wrong about character progress?
- If your character is on a quest for power and your OOC and IC revolve around power. Give your character obstacles instead. Focus on IC.
- If you level up too fast. What do I call too fast? It depends on the character. But one level a day already tells me you are powerplaying to be honest. OF course, you can have a good rp reason, but why don't you find something else to do? Focus on IC.

2. I haz a hammer
If you do get something special. Because it is possible that you will. Think reasonably yet again. If you get an oobar familiar, don't abuse it. If you are a Lotus girl and you can faceroll a male opponent with Charisma, or just click and kill, roleplay instead of wtfpwning him. And if the rp warrants. And if there is no other way, sure, confront, make sure to give thorough emotes, make it role play. Focus on IC.

I honestly can't explain this any better. The issue is not that people get high level gear, it's that they can't deal with it. Learn to deal with it. Practice good intent and self-restraint and common sense.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Apr 13th, '10, 14:22 
Level 7 Player Character

I have to completely agree. Honestly, Andrias leveled up quite a bit too fast...yet, I made him a dynamic character enough in the fact that there has been a story as to why, how he has just started on the path from being a ruffian womanizer into a steadfast true lawful-neutral guardian character.

Honestly, caps are there for the players too, and not just to staunch progression. Afterall, how much can a learn by constantly killing to no end? There is a great deal more to progressing a character/story than this.

But while I agree with this post, let me say this. There are times when there are leaps in progression, and there are times when progression stalls depending on circumstances IC. Characters get stuck in ruts, are given obstacles...and might slow for a while, but if they are to overcome such an obstacle, well the rewarding feeling alone would strengthen resolve.

That's where holding off on leveling comes in. If a DM isn't online to give you an IC reason to begin the level up process (IE, enhancing your characters storyline)...create an event yourself and write about it on the forums.

What Glor is trying to say, is basically make leveling up feel more special, and worth the effort.

Get -IN- to your characters =). Develop where they came from, who they were...what they want to become. Ask DMs for help with that...honestly, if a player CREATES a path for their character, a DM I'm sure would be happy to jump on ideas, personal ones and general plotlines as well! Write up a bio. Me personally, I love watching characters evolve.

"Roleplay is always inclusive, and never exclusive" (I forget who told me that)

Include the DMs in the planning process for your characters. Keep things positive guys, this server is amazing and I want to enjoy it for quite a while. Need you all for that =)

Cheers!

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Apr 13th, '10, 14:56 
Masters of Fate

Veneroth took the words right out of my mouth. Cheers!

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Apr 13th, '10, 17:28 
Level 7 Player Character

Well my two cents now:

1 cent - I always look at something that's my character could reqlisticly acheive. Like if you want to pracetice that sword swing that bard song or that spell what have you, sit down with a few people. Talk and then practice I don't know a DM that would be mad for you and three of your buddies going out having fun and RPing your characters improvement.

2 cent - I know coming to a new sever makes you feel like the under dog, you ge the welcome a special treat but then you have to make your story. Do yur best at makeing it fun because you know what, no matter your level of skil or how well you are known if you make an honist efort and out fun into your RP you will get your change and your experiance.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Apr 13th, '10, 22:49 
Masters of Fate

Well my fitty fitty fitty cents now:

Fitty cent - You reap what you sow.

Fitty fitty cent - The amount of time you spend reflecting is directly proportional to the amount of time you spend impressing (and that could just mean impressing yourself). i.e. If I were a narcissist and spend an hour reflecting upon my reflection, I have impressed myself with an hour's worth of time to brood over the infinite scenarios where I could apply my dazzling looks.

The same goes with the time you spend reflecting with your character.

To spare the sands, the seas, the skies
I offer thee this silent sacrifice."

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Apr 16th, '10, 17:48 
Level 12 Player Character

I got Jarl to lvl 7 in my 4 days or so playing here, but to be honest, I only wanted to do that so i can sue that damn belt I bought with no level requirement listed, but needed to be lvl 7 to use.

Now that I'm here, I hopefully plan to lvl slowly, through mostly rp. I just hope I don't have the same issues everywhere else I went, and no willing DM's to assist.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Apr 16th, '10, 22:21 
Level 3 Player Character

*kneels down and cries and kisses the ground that the DM's walk on* Ok, seriously, I am not trying to brown nose or anything. I've been told that I'm an eliteist from my old server. Meaning that I take rp too seriously. I level slow and that I didn't enjoy the hack and slash, I was looked down on for -walking- through adventure areas while the rest of my group was running ahead of me killing everything. I just have to say... thank you, thank you thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you. Thank you for welcoming this eliteist and making her feel like she has a place and can have a home. *sniffs and dabs at her eyes* See the tears?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Apr 17th, '10, 00:54 
Masters of Fate

;___; *hugs Ztek!*

Welcome home. :3 Level progression can be slow here, yes, but this place has always been about building a beautiful story, and finding excellent RP, where you can do as you will and play the person you wish to play. We all take RP way too seriously here, so you'll never be alone! x3

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Jul 1st, '10, 15:44 
Level 4 Player Character

ok... Here's my thought on the matter...

Now I like levels and equipment and power as much as anyone else, but I realise we all like to gain that at different rates.. and even then depending on the character a person can gain such at different rates for his/her different characters, ie... Ceridwen, my Shifter, took 4 real life years to get her to level 30, yet Vurbag my "Hellstuck" orc lol took less than what.. 6 months to hit level 20 with a powerful item far beyond what a 20th lvl would normally gain on his own...

So I say, take your time, the others before me have pretty much explained what I mean by that in their own words.. A Character with no expansive or even Basic storyline will get boring here... You cant do anything with the lower level characters (or newbies) without (Even inadvertantly) showing off your characters epicness, and you will find it hard with the epics because you cant relate to them storyline wise..

Offline Profile