Login | Register

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

It is currently Mar 28th, '24, 22:01

PostPosted: Jul 8th, '10, 15:50 
Level 12 Player Character

I'm not attacking Kymlun at all, but this is something I feel all should read to get an understanding of what I am saying.

1. It needs loyal players. When things look glum on a server, which almost all servers eventually have happen, the server needs players that don't quit because things are looking glum.

2. It needs active DM's. On a RP server that tries to ban grinding as much as possible, it needs constant activity by the DM's. The players need something to do more then shoot the proverbial shit in the town center. DM's shouldn't expect that players are going to be satisfied with developing their story on the forums through posts. If they wanted to write books, they would do so. If a player doesn't recieve DM attention in the form of plots or story line, frequantly, they get bored fast, especially if going out and looting/hunting exp is frowned upon.

I have noticed that money on Kymlun isn't an issue. To be honest, this bothers me, it really does. It takes away a goal for me. The same goes with the amazing uber gear, it's handed out to easily by other players and partially by the DM's. I want to feel like I really earned what I got, and that i have to really work for it, not walk into the square day 1 and have people swarm me giving me awsome amazing things, now my pc has 2 things he doesn't have to strive for.

The above statement is actually an issue on many servers I have noticed.

3. The last thing a rp server needs to function are imaginative players, that can work the brains of the DM's and give them something to work with. They are after all only human and we cannot expect them to constantly write huge story plots all the time with their own imagination to go by. Some can do it, others not so well. They need players to work with them, and to also interact with other players as well, create conflict, and yes the dreaded drama on occasion.

I am sure we all know this, but I felt it should be said.

So, as a recap;

Balance the things for players to do, and don't take away stuff for them to do and strive for.

Work with each other, talk to one another and don't say you've tried but get no response. Sometimes a forum post is to unpersonal, so don't expect that just because you wrote something here, it's going to be enough. Talk to the players and DM's and get involved with each other.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Jul 8th, '10, 17:39 
Twilight Council

There's only two things I can say:

One is most of this I've been saying for a while.

Second is it's really hard to balance this game. Kymlun has its own balance, in a way.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Jul 8th, '10, 22:49 
Twilight Council

The problem with a real economy is that to do that you first need a means of making money which goes beyond hit, sell, hit, sell that everyone can do.

We can't really justify taking away hitsell because it would mean there would be no money. However I can finish up the scripts for the trade skills and people could use that as a means to forge the economy with glors blessing. Naturally there's still be some hitsell stuff necessary but not to quite a degree as this.

Course that's all theoretical til i get out of the workplace :3

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Jul 8th, '10, 23:02 
Twilight Council

I think what Lore did with gathering is a good thing to go with

Offline Profile