Login | Register

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

It is currently Mar 28th, '24, 14:25

PostPosted: Apr 12th, '10, 09:44 
Level 2 Player Character

Month 10 Day 5 Early Morning
(This journal is hand written in a small tidy script)

The throbbing in my head is keeping me awake though my eyelids are very heavy. I’ve been drinking tonight. Spiced wine. I was with a hin, Hillbert in the plains outside of Solinar. The last I saw of him he had cracked his head open on a rock because he can’t handle his booze. It’s only been a few weeks since I left the Academy (so glad to be out of that place) being out in the world has helped me far more than any of those classes or teachings ever could. I’ve met plenty of people. None I am too terribly fond of really so far. I’ll write out a list just in case I forget in the future. Every little bit of information will help me in the end:

Alexandru: He is a mage, like so many others of his kind he is truly arrogant. Magic is the only thing that seems to be important to him. He can have an intelligent conversation and would likely be one I can tolerate for a longer period of time than others. He says that his magic comes from his blood. His obvious weakness would be catching him off guard. He seems willing to use his magic to teach me how to better avoid his power. This is not an opportunity I am willing to waste.

Luna: She seems to have only half a working brain but her skill with an axe is formidable. This one will be easily manipulated and when aimed at the right target potentially very useful. I must make sure not to gain her ire though since her axe could cut me down faster than I could react. Until I can evade her notice I will tread carefully. She and Timond have some sort of affection for each other, his is far stronger for her judging by what she has told me. She also seems wary to tell of their affection.

Dante: A priest of the burning king. As much as I dislike the idea he has saved me one more than one occasion and if it is possible should be shown every favor I can give to him. He has a brain in his head and seems skilled enough with a sword and shield. He will take time to study to learn real weaknesses.

Delia: An elven woman and a member of the Order of the Lotus. She seems delighted to wear small amounts of clothing and speaks as though she doesn’t have a brain in her head. With her this seems more like an act. I will need to watch her. She owns a dog, a young husky, which follows her most everywhere. She has told me that she ran away from her home in the northlands.

Timond: This man doesn’t speak much except filthy whisperings to Luna he thought I didn’t hear. He wants to wrap his arms around her in public and show his affections. Not a major influence of my time so far.

Hally: Another mage, blood again I believe though I don’t know for certain. She is clumsy, always falling all over herself, and seems more concerned with her clothing than anything important. She is obviously useful because of her power in magic and her lack of intelligence.

Hillbert: The hin favors a blade, short because of his size, though he does have some skill with a bow as well. He, like me, knows how to direct his attacks to weak spots of foes to hurt them much more. He is the second I’ve met that I might spend more than short amounts of time with.

Fynn: He is apparently a battle mage. Another elf who has no sense of fun. He is arrogant but honorable he is the one who saw me safely to my room in my inebriated state. I will need to find out what sort of mage he is and where is weaknesses lie.

Gnome: Once again, a mage, I do no know his name but he seems to wear heavy purple armor. He asked me to take him to the forge which I do not know the way to. He wandered off after that to bother someone else.

William: A silent man usually, he likes to stand by significant landmarks: trees, rocks, etc. There is often a woman dress in dark clothes with him. I know nothing about her.

Pale Woman: There was an elf that appeared to me and Fynn. At least she had the shape of an elf. She was pale and spoke strangely. I wish I could have met her when I was in my proper state of mind I may have been able to glean more about what she meant.

Elf Warpriest: I met the Warpriest in the graveyard, I had been chased out of the tower there by something undead. He didn’t speak much to me but we walked out of the graveyard and to the plains together for safety.

Demon: There is a demon woman, a tiefling I’ve heard. She appears at the oddest of times and bad things seem to happen either before or after she does. There is no way I will let a demon close enough to me to trust. At least some of what my parents taught me stuck in my head.

Shadow Fighters: When I had finally graduated from the Academy I went to the plains west of Solinar and there was a man and woman flowing in and out of the shadows so lithely it was truly one of the most beautiful things I’ve ever seen. They could pass from my sight even when I was looking directly at them. I truly wish to learn this talent and have been searching for them ever since that day to ask them how they do such things.

This is a short list of the things I’ve come across since coming out of the school. I will, of course, update it when things change or I learn more of their situations. I haven’t learned much of the city politics. I know there is a Council that runs nearly everything and a Warlord. I’ve also met the Pope of the city. He is a merchant which I found rather odd but churches have always had their ways of making money for themselves.

I’ve done so many things since leaving school. Stopping curses on blighted wolves, battling goddess tainted beasts. There is one instance I must make account for here. With a small group (Luna, Timond, Dante, and myself) we followed a cow up the mountains and fought giants the cow turned out to be a druid who couldn’t keep his shape. He shifted into a dragon to rescue us from the giants. Then we flew from the mountains on his back. I saw the edges of the world from on the dragon’s back. It is an experience I will not soon forget.

Most recently I was blessed by a different druid. He gave me the surprising talent to jump far higher and further than I ever could before. This could possibly assist me in battle and other things. I will need to test ways in which I can use this new blessing.

I find that I think of my parents more and more often since Graduating. They must be somewhere in this world where I am. They must have walked some of these paths that I walk every day. The tricks they taught me when I was so young. I remember running with them, never entering cities, and I remember the day they told me I would have to stay at the Academy. I want to know why. They left me at that place and stopped teaching me things that actually matter to learn the uselessness the common people of the world know. The alcohol is getting to me I need rest. I will write again soon.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Apr 12th, '10, 22:39 
Level 2 Player Character

Month 10 Day 11 Sometime in the Night
(The quill seems to be pressed hard into the paper as she writes, small holes can be seen at sporadic places in the text)

Should I happen to die and some other become privy to what I have written here I would highly advise you that if you have half a brain not to drink the water around Solinar. It only breeds idiocy. That and an acceptance of child murder and desire for only your words to be heard. I can already feel that as the days go by it is going to be harder and harder to stay my hand from slapping some of these people. Maybe I shouldn't resist, common sense might rub off.

Pain is good. Pain teaches us what we need to know.

I suppose, lest I forget and forgive, I should write down what has gotten me into such a foul mood. I was out in the plains west of Solinar by my favorite tree again, I need to find a new spot to think, when the wind started up. I was able to hear small voices saying something but no one was near me. Delia and her puppy were up on a hill so I assumed it was the wind that had carried her voice down to me. Then some mage walks out of the city wrapped in magic, surprise surprise, and actuall walked up behind me and said "boo". I believed him to be Alex, those mages all look the same to me all covered in spells, and he immediately informed me that he was "worse. Far...far worse." Of course at that time I wasn't to know that he meant he would be far worse in grating on my nerves.

Delia showed up with her puppy asking if it was us making the sounds that I had heard earlier. I told her it wasn't so we both looked to the mage, thinking it was his magic. He says it was not him either and then proceeded to tell us he had murdered a child and further tried silence me because I was "distracting" him. Faw! He mentioned something about there being no taint nearby and no sooner had he said that then a scream belted out from the north followed by a great deal of commotion. Then yet -another- mage shows up, really is everyone in this world tainted with magic? And asks what is wrong. I posed a general question as to whether there was any sort of city guard and he asked, in his arrogance and dripping with antagonistic delight, what I would have them do. Obviously I meant for them to arrest the man who just admitted to being a child murderer. This is where the brain decay really starts to show itself. He told me to shut up because the murderer had already been to hell for it.

At this point I could not handle any more mages around so I decided to leave and explore a bit on my own. Eventually I found a quiet place that I could sit and write as I am now. The knots of anger in my stomach are loosening and away from the influence of damn mages my mind is more at ease. I can think more on the exploration Luna and I completed earlier. We visited dwarves in their mines. I must admit though I was shocked to find they really didn't offer much in the way of finely crafted goods. Especially armor. It was always my belief that dwarves were the masters of creation, I expected more.

Then we found the highlands and the barbarian tribes, we didn't see many people there they must have been off fighting or hunting, but it was beautiful and I enjoyed the walk. After the Highlands we went downward and stupidly, maybe i've accidenlty ingested something from Solinar, approached a dark elf city. For our redemption we did not have any sort of idea what might live there but we didn't make it even to the gates before arrows rained down on us. Not our finest hour. It serves me right for breaking my own rule of not traveling alone with Luna.

I've begun talking to my shadow. It seems the only thing that doesn't tell me to shut up or prattle on about inane and worthless drivel. All in all it is good conversation. The day she talks back with be a marvelous day indeed.

More later.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Apr 13th, '10, 13:48 
Twilight Council

//Good writing here, we'll see what we can do to encourage more ;)

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Apr 15th, '10, 06:35 
Level 2 Player Character

Month 10 Day 28
(This entry is written quickly, the normally neat handwriting rushed and sloppy)

It has happened for me. The time I have spent hoping for a mentor...someone to teach me how to "dance with shadows", he came. He even offered to teach me before I had to ask. It seems he had been watching and saw the willingness in me to learn how to do this. To learn this amazing talent. My first lesson was to know what shadow is. It is not, as I thought, just darkness. There is space there and the feeling I had experienced the safety of shadow...I am not the only one. The voices. The speaking to my own shadow. It is a part of me.

My teacher taught me that if I were to change my perception of shadow I could use it to fade from sight of any who are not observant enough to keep sight of me. It is not magic. Thank goodness I would hate to find out after all these years that I had the spark of magic in me. I must simply convince others around me that I am just simply not there any longer. It is within my power to do that. He said he wanted me to practice feeling the shadow around me. Changing my perception.

I spent hours sitting in the cave near the Orcwood. I thought that since there was shadow all around I could use that to my advantage, but I simply could not make any sort of change happen. This training may be frustrating. The idea of changing my mind about something I've known to be fact for all of the eighteen years of my life...how am I suppose to accomplish this? Maybe I am going about this the wrong way. My teacher said that I would need to find my own way down the path he had laid out for me. I will need to find my own way.

I think I will spend a few hours...*the writing seems to stop suddenly here*

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Apr 15th, '10, 08:40 
Level 2 Player Character

Month 11 Day 1
(The journal is returned to her normal flow and neat writing)

My last entry was interrupted by a man trying to read this over my shoulder. It took time for me to find a teacher I am not about to let any fool walking along the road see what secrets I have been told, this is for my own memory. So I do not forget a single world I have been told about the safety of shadow.

The man's name was Zach, he was forward and obviously quite horny and, wonder of wonders, he set his sights on me. So of course, I had to test him. In order to see how far he could be used with only the promise of fornication. I got free whiskey out of the deal and a bit of his history. He, like so many of these others will be easily manipulated with promises of physical favor. Which, in the end, I will find a way out of. He took me into the Sunrise Inn for drink and told me some of his past. He was a sailor who was left for dead by his captain and crewmates. I can understand why. I didn't get much chance to learn more because two Lotus women, Catie and Jaycee, arrived for breakfast. I believe Catie is teacher to Jaycee who might be some sort of healer.

The Lotus women remained while he left, I only ended up telling him my name and that I was learning some sort of new dance. I believe a fair exchange for all of the information I was able to learn from him. The Lotus women chased him away after a time, no problem with that it was an easy way to escape from implied invitations to my room. During this time a man joined our group, his name was Roland. According to the Lotus women he battled a demon and was well enough to stand afterward. Obviously not a man to be trifled with. Though he seemed to have an ample amount of this "honor" men are so fond of and that can be used against him sure as anything. I can pretend to be a damsel in distress...I saw the perfect dress for it at the tailor too I will have to go buy it when I am finished writing.

I've had a little further time to practice changing my view of the shadow....*rain drops can be seen on the pages from this point*

I am beginning to think the world is telling me not to write into too much depth of my training. Every time I begin something happens to stop me. Just now it started to rain. I will however say that I've gotten as far as allowing that "safe" feeling to overcome me. Perhaps through that small breakthrough I can begin to progress further. Meditation and pain will show me the way.

I have met a few more people I think are worth noting in here. I will list them as I did before:

Alex: A golden haired man I met in the plains. He offered his help to anyone who should need it with apparently no price in exchange.

Elissril: A woman with very elven features, though she is large to be a full elf. By the way she spoke she might just have a good head on her shoulders I would like to meet her again and learn more of her views on the world. She may possibly make a good ally in the coming days. She said she was freshly graduated from the academy.

Asastru: This man is a new graduate of the academy as well. I didn't see his face because he kept a helmet on the entire time we were together. I showed him the tailor and went with him and Hally to rummage around for a pair of boots he would like. I gave him a large purse, enough to claim the aid of his sword for a good amount of time to come. I will call in this debt when needed.

It would also be good to note that I also gave Hally a large sum of money in exchange for her magic when I need it. So that will be two loose allies I can call upon when needed. More later, I need to meditate and see if I can not push myself further today.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Apr 16th, '10, 02:23 
Level 2 Player Character

Month 11 Day 9
(The ink seems to have dried very quickly causing the page to wrinkle slightly)

This has been an interesting day. I battled with Luna and found that in the end I can easily evade her if I need to and kill her. She showed some sense of intelligence by keeping invisibility potions on hand just in case so I have gathered some scrolls so I might see invisible people. My tests with them have been fruitful so far, most of the time I can activate them without messing up the magic. I think I would like to spar with people more often it really will help I believe to improve my combat skills.

After our sparring match Luna and I did some exploring we traveled to her home in the north. There was a woman there who offered quiet money for some errands to be done. I very much liked her and will work for her again. We fought frost wyrms, small little beasts that threw icy magic at us. Most of the time I was able to dodge them easily enough, Luna took far more squarely than I did. We fought the faux dragons and returned for our reward. Then she sent us on a mission to find four beast parts in the frozen tundra. The snow made this mission a but more difficult. I've decided I don't much care for the snow after this trip. We also returned with those items and then she sent me alone to remove a man who had been invading her own working area within the sewers.

Her next job for be to do is rid the caves of that dragon I wrote of earlier. I believe we will need to assemble a much greater force to accomplish this. More later...

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Apr 16th, '10, 08:26 
Level 2 Player Character

Month 11 Day 15 Very Late Night
(The pages are a little damp, the water gives them a wavy appearence)

I enjoy baths. The heat of the water is the only thing that soothes my mind after focusing so hard on my training. Dancing through shadow is far more darining than I thought it would be. Most of the time I try to wait until everyone has gone to bed before I sneak down here. It is far more soothing to bathe alone than with a crowd of people yammering on about the most useless things.

My brother, Jean, has finally graduated from the Academy. We are the same age yet he graduated months after I did. I always knew I was better than him but he would never accept it until now. Ah well, the beating he will receive from training with me will be lesson enough to show him who is the better sibling. I really am happy to finally have another so like me out in the world. He even considered the walls of the academy a prison as I did though we never spoke of it when we were there together. Seeing him renews my faith in the people of this world.

I went on another mission of certain death with Luna and Date today. They had a friend join us. I am not sure of his name but he moves almost faster than my eyes can see him. He is not someone I would want to make angry at this time in my training. Who knows. Every man has his weakness. Anyway we went through a small wooded area that had some hags hiding in it. They were fond of calling on nature to do their fighting for them and we had a few very close calls during the journey. I am growing wiser to the flows of battle because I was not threatened nearly as much as normal when I travel with those two.

Through the woods was a tower, called the Skytower, the religious center for worshippers of Haniel. There was very little of interest there for me of course, but Dante spent a few hours speaking with the priests. An interesting note I would like to put down is about the guards of this city were giant beasts with what Dante called angel's wings. I would be interested to find out what those creatures really are.

My training is going well. I am able to slip and out of the safety of shadow most of the time when I want to know. It is becoming somewhat natural now my biggest challenge will be how to use it in a fight. Flowing in and out of seemingly thin air might be frightening to my opponents. I will have to work on this. The heat of battle might ruin my focus I will have to try it.

The demon waved at me today. It told me it's name was Natael and asked for mine. I didn't give it my full name because I am sure it wanted my name for some curse but I know that would only work if it knew my full and true name. It always seems to show up where I am, it is very disconcerting to see I will need to be careful and watch my back now that it has made contact. I will also warn Jean of the threat. More later.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Apr 17th, '10, 00:53 
Level 2 Player Character

Month 11 Day 20
(The pages are damp again, from being in the bath)

Today I believe I sent a woman to die. I should start at the beginning of the story though it is not likely I will soon forget it. Apparently some trappers caught a large lizard that was bi-pedal that was a female. She escaped, killed her captor, and then was killed by a man named Nathan, Delia, and myself. I stated that the remains could be sold or used in some way and Delia, the lotus girl, seemed to take issue with the notion, prefering it to be left in honor even though it had killed a sentient man. Due to this I have become the bad guy right away. An elven druid showed up soon after and summoned swarms of bugs to destroy the corpse of the slain monster. A waste of good meat if you ask me. Many soldiers or orphans could be fed with that much meat.

The druid proceeded to tell us that the reason she called forth the bugs was to remove any trace of the female scent because she was in heat and that males would come from miles around to mate with her, and likely in a frenzy which could kill scores of people. During this conversation we learned they live in the jungles south of Solinar and that is where they would come from. As if on cue, one of the males showed up and we had to slay another one. After the lizard was killed, the man, Nathan, decided he needed to flex his muscles, as silly men so often do, and drag the carcass along with us down the road south toward the jungle. We were followed by a large group that wanted to insert themselves into the solution of this obvious issue: Jay a lotus, delia another lotus, a barbarian woman, the muscle head Nathan, the demon Natael and myself.

Another of the males attacked while we were in a small village along the road and the local militia stepped forward to help slay the beast. Nathan decided it would be a better idea to knock the thing unconscious instead of killing it. The leader of the militia was willing to gather their army and fight the hoarde of monsters that was said to be coming until the druid chose that moment to tell us that killing them would only attract more due to the scent of the male. It is my belief that she simply lied about this to stop us from slaughtering the entire species of the useless bastards. Of course though, Delia accepted this as fact as she so often does with useless information, and caused a fuss. We were set on the task of finding a way to trap or herd them away from the village without shedding their blood.

At this point another of the lotus had arrived, a woman named Zalla (on a side note she outright called herself a killer which goes against what I learned of them from Delia), who unlike all the others was a tolerable woman who had half of a brain. The militia had given us until sunrise to arrive at a solution before he would call forth the army. Let me tell that it took every moment from sundown to near sunrise to get these people to stop bickering and listen to me. We would use half of a bottle of the female scent on the druid who had shapeshifted into a cheetah and allow her to lead one of the males away from civilization. Then Zalla, due to her speed and stealth, would use the rest of the scent on one of the males to confuse the others that had claimed territory around the area. The scent can not be washed away, according to the druid herself, so I asked simply if she was ready to die for her cause. She said yes so she was the one to be the bait who inevitably would be caught by the males at some point and killed.

It goes without saying that Delia did not approve of the hard decision I had made saying there had to be some other way that didn't involve the death of the druid. My mother would be pleased that her daughter kept to her lessons and sent the mage off to die. Someone must make difficult decisions in this world and it is apparent the lotus and most others are far too soft to do it themselves. That is why I was born I suppose.

At risk of losing my mental fortitiude I am worried for myself. I found myself agreeing with the demon most often today during the arguments over the lizards. I feel as if she may be working her power into my mind and forcing me to her will through it. I am unsure but I will need to step far more carefully because I almost caught myself wanting to enjoy her company. This simply can -not- happen. I will need to talk to Jean about this and see what he thinks we can do to release me from its influence. More later.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Apr 17th, '10, 03:55 
Level 2 Player Character

Month 11 Day 22
(Dust covers the page, obviously this was written outside when a slight wind was blowing)

Something interesting has happened to be. A shadow came to me. It said that there were many like me, that I would be tested. I asked what sort of test and it said I would find out soon enough. I will admit my stomach is in knots thinking about what might be coming...I also wonder if this is my mentor sending shadows to teach me something. I will need to mull this over. So short because I am learning about the woman Nela. More later.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Apr 18th, '10, 21:01 
Level 2 Player Character

Month 11 Day 28
(This is written with small crumbs of bread and even a stain of mustard on the page)

It has been awhile since I have had time to write in this journal. My brother is doing well. We have been training together often and he is getting better all the time, it almost seems like he is learning things faster than I am these days. I will need to redouble my efforts so I can keep myself ahead of him.

Events. I met a talking moving tree who called himself an Ent. He told a story about some ancient race called the Ghazalkin or Ghazakin or something like that. They were the first created by the gods, before humans. He told us about how horrible we humans are and about our fighting with them to take over old and important forests. We were painted in an obviously horrible light. It's wonderful being told how awful you are at every turn isn't it? Ah well I will admit it crossed my mind more than once what a bow made from his wood would be like. Probably amazing. I will have to see if I can go about getting one.

After the Ent things were quiet for a bit until the day some people who were on the Plains saw smoke rising up from the Eastern Forest. A large group went to investigate what was causing the smoke. It turned out to be an elven village that was burning and being attacked by rabian orcs. The town was on fire, burning fast in the middle of the forest and yet as usual I was ignored in my attempt to make people see sense and maybe save the homes of these elves. I am getting used to people not paying attention to me. This could be good for me in the end because whenever I make plans to take the power I am able to weild they won't see it coming.

There were bodies everywhere, so much blood the ground was soaked and the heat of the fires was nearly enough to make the ground boil. Curiously enough there were no dead elves in this elven village. I am sure no one was surprised that the elves pulled away when they were needed only to show up after most of the hard fighting was already finished. The small force was decimated by a group of orcs that showed up leaving only their leader who apparently was Tam's mother. She was killed by the rabian champion and her soul was taken by the "god". Apparently the goddess Seleen appeared to us and claimed the reason this was happening is because no one would hear her word. I can't help but have felt a connection with the woman due to her words, being ignored quite often myself. It was after this that she simply disappeared saying she could not save Tam's mother's soul nor reveal the location. So much for the ultimate power of the gods. Out of this, the elves crowned a new Queen. More later.

Offline Profile