Login | Register

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

It is currently Mar 29th, '24, 01:40

Post subject: Common Girl
PostPosted: Apr 16th, '10, 23:44 
Level 3 Player Character

Cecily hurried down the boardwalk with her precious bundle. Two eggs. She smiled trimuphantly, thinking about how she was going to cook them. There was a bit of lard in the storage box at the shanty she had saved, and a little salt. Her stomach growled and she sighed. Her red curls bouncing down her back as she walked along, skipping at times to hurry to her little home.

If you could call it a home. A voice called out from the docks, shouting her name as she reached the doorstep of the shanty she and her father shared. "Cecily!"

Smiling she looked back toward the familiar voice, Edward, a dock hand who had a crush on her since she was only twelve. "Get ya' ta workin' ya' slouch! I dinna' be havin' the time fa' ya's flirtin'!" She yelled back and giggled, while her stomach growled again, reminding her of her purpose. "I'm waitin' fa' a gentleman ta' be comin' along. Turn inta' one, then I'll be talkin' ta' ya's!" She disappeared into the dimly lit shanty, most of the light coming through cracks in the walls and took her eggs to the little stove in the corner.

As she got the pan down from the wall she heard it. The sinking feeling came to her stomach as her hackles rose and she heard the shuffling behind her. The man who was her father was actually home, and he shuffled into the hovel, leering at her as a burp escaped his lips. She turned to him with a frown as he spoke, his words slurred, anger in his tone. His face in the familiar frown every time he looked at her, being the personification of her mother, he hated that she looked like her, and that her mother had never stopped working as a prostitute. "Cec, ya' got inta' me coffers agin'. Didn' ya?"

"Jus' a few gold, Da'. An' it's me earnin's ya took it from me hidin' place fa' ya's rum! I earned it, Da'."

She never could believe how quickly he could lumber over to her in his drunken state, but he did. Before she knew it the back of his hand swung out, striking her across the cheek. Her head reeling back with the pain and she brought her hand up to cover the strike, her cheek burning and beginning to swell. With the tears in her eyes she heard him at the fire, the metal of the poker scraping against stone, giving a hiss and he pushed it into the red and white embers at the bottom of the fire. She trembled already knowing, even as her stomach growled again in protest, she ached for food. "Ya's never been a girl ta' knowin' her place. An' I's feed ya, give ya a roof ta' sleep under. Ya' nothin' but a street urchin an' ya shoulda' been workin' beds a coupla' years ago... then..." He trailed off looking at her with a sinister glare that indicated his drunk state, his eyes dialated and filled with the lucidity he only had when he had just finished a good drink. Mark of his profession, though no one had hired him to sail in their ship for the past five years. "I'd been workin' hard ta' raise ya'... least ya' could do is takin' care of ya' Da'. But no... ya' stealin' from ya own Da', right under me own nose."

Her eyes widened as he lifted the poker from the fire, the tip of it angry and red, she clutched her already scared hand behind her back. "Da'! No! I was hungry.. no! Please stop!" She could feel it happening as he walked around the worn table in their small house, the fear of the pain welling up in her good hand lifting out to stop him. She felt her control slipping, the surging feeling that went through her, fear turning to anger, her green eyes wide as she looked at her father. "No!"

The flare left her hand like a bolt and hit him at his hip, right near where he held the poker in his hand, his pants lighting on fire, burning his skin. He screamed at the pain of the burn and dropped the poker, and lunged for her, grabbing her by her long red curls. "That's it!" He struck her on the face again, making her stumble and wince as it pulled her hair more, she screamed and struggled against him to stand. "Ya's goin' on ya's own! I'm not havin' ya in me house na' more!" He punched at her again, this time in her stomach, the blows striking at her repeatedly.

When she thought she wouldn't be able to catch her breath again, he stopped and dragged her out of the dirt floor hovel they lived in. Her sanctuary when he was gone drunk, her hell when he returned for more gold. She felt the sun on her face and eyes of the people working on the streets and the docks were all on her as she looked around, her father tall and standing over her. The only trait she shared with him was his red hair. "I will na' have a Witch in me house! Get! Ya' not me daughter!" His final good bye to her was his boot in her stomach, and the scene went black as she lost consiousness.

The shadows of the streets were a haven, as the dark man watched from the alley. A slight frown on his face as he had heard the fight that had come all too commonly from the little shanty. He had known her mother, who was pretty, but the daughter was prettier. Pretty wasn't the correct word, she was beautiful, and only left to rot by her father's abuse of her.

He watched as he kicked her, leaving the small form of the woman on the street, still and unmoving. No one touched her, probably knowing she had no gold on her, her dress worn and frayed at the hem, but showing her care for her appearance that she looked as if she commonly washed it, and took care of herself as best she could. He had seen her at the tavern, serving drinks, even flirting for better tips, but never selling herself or warming a bed from what he saw. Even slapping men if they got too frisky with her, she wanted better, he admired that... and envied it.

She lay there seeming lifeless as he walked over to her still body, looking frail and thin, common for her station and not having much to eat. She was light in his arms as he picked her up, touching her hair for the first time. Pausing in surprise as he felt how soft the curls were. Kincaid smiled in the shade of his hood walking away into the shadows with her in his arms. He would kill her father later, today was the time to leave with her.

Offline Profile