Login | Register

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

It is currently Mar 28th, '24, 12:23

Post subject: The Sunrise Tribune
PostPosted: Mar 18th, '10, 04:01 
Twilight Council

Solinar’s leading newspaper is distributed to thousands in the Sunrise city. Articles covering news, politics, and the latest gossip are right at your fingertips. We are always accepting op-ed pieces as well as articles from freelance journalists. Pick up your copy today!

((On an ooc note, this is where I’ll post articles found in the newspaper to give people news about Solinar and things to rp about. If you want to contribute anything, feel free to pm me the article and I’ll post it here.))

Title OSST - Official Server Sneaky Thing - Granted by Official Server Grouch
Title Grammar Police - Granted by community.
Title Pollcat - Granted by community.

Last edited by Archer14 on May 22nd, '10, 05:50, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: The Sunrise Tribune
PostPosted: Mar 18th, '10, 04:05 
Twilight Council

Former Warlord’s Body Vanishes
Gary Levine, Staff Writer

“I don’t know where it went,” Guardsmen Dennis O’Reily said during an interview on Monday. “All I know is that I was guarding the tomb one minute and then the next minute I was waking up three hours later.”
O’Reily isn’t the only one baffled. Only a few hours after the former Warlord Pelgrin Swordjust’s body was placed in a tomb in preparation for cremation, the remains disappeared. Priests who came to retrieve the body in order to perform the public ceremony only found the elaborate burial shroud and the smell of decay.
Priestess Jeanine Carmine remarks, “It was strange. The guards had been there the whole time and couldn’t remember anyone approaching the tomb. When we entered, the smell was overwhelming. It is as if Death itself had come to claim him. At least he’s in a better place now, by the side of Domorus.”
Speculation abounds in this case. Many advocates of the late Warlord proclaim that Domorus himself came to claim the body, bringing Swordjust back from death and taking him to Heaven to rule with the gods. Pessimists, however, speculate that palemasters may have gotten hold of the body in order to spite their foe.
“I’m just saying that it’s awfully suspicious for the Warlord to die suddenly from the undead and then for his body to go missing afterwards,” says Guardswoman Katrina Line. “I wouldn’t be surprised if palemasters were behind the whole thing.”
Suspicions of palemasters and the undead have reached an all-time boiling point. With the recent death of Lord Pelgrin Swordjust and with negotiations between Solinar and Nheraz’Kharr in shambles, these sentiments are not surprising. Many are worried about the times to come.
“Lord Swordjust was a beacon in the dark. He helped the city more than you could imagine. I mean, he was a good guy. Now that he’s dead, a lot of people are worried about the undead,” says Swordjust’s former secretary, Dory Gray. “The fact that his body just disappeared makes everyone even more nervous. How can a body just disappear?”
The question posed by Gray is one which has been puzzled over the last week. The authorities declined to an interview, but did say that they are “doing everything in our power to find out what happened.” The guardsmen on duty at the time are being held and questioned. However, no evidence has been found as of yet to point to the whereabouts of Swordjust’s body.
A memorial service was held in honor of Lord Pelgrin Swordjust in absence of his body on Sunday, March 14th. Thousands gathered to witness the ceremonial burning of his shroud.
“He was a good man, a great man,” one funeral goer recalled. “We’ll all miss him.”

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mar 18th, '10, 20:45 
Twilight Council

Solinar Bank Asks for Government Bail-Out
Darien Glouster, Staff Writer

During the early hours of the morning last week, Solinar Bank was robbed by several armed men. They were able to disable several traps protecting the vaults, as well as pick the high security locks placed to keep valuables safe. Although no one was injured during the robbery, the ramifications of this event are widespread and monumental.
“The confidence in the Solinar Bank has been shattered,” admitted Theodore Rowe, Public Relations. “We need to show the public that we can keep their valuables safe.”
Several elites have already withdrawn their funds from the bank. The backlash from this has been enormous. Solinar Bank had been stressed for funds in past years due to a high rate of loans and slow repayments. The robbery, in other words, is the proverbial straw that has broken the camel’s back.
The bank has now petitioned the Solinar government for a bail-out with their recent financial troubles. Their main goal is to help restore the confidence that has been shattered in light of recent events.
“We’ll be installing new locks as well as more guards,” says Rowe. “This incident will not happen again.”
The bank is also pressuring the authorities to find the criminals and bring them to justice. Unfortunately, there have been no leads thus far.
“We do believe that the graveyard incident that occurred during the time of the robbery was merely a diversion,” says Guardsman Arthur Yates. “We don’t have any other comment to give the press at this time.”
The diversion that Yates referred to was an incident in which Warlord Lucas Remmington called out Solinar forces to deal with an undead problem in the local graveyard. Although the issue was dealt with, it left Solinar unprotected against attack. The authorities therefore believe that the thieves were not citizens of Solinar, but were instead hired by a rival nation.
If the government agrees to a bail-out, it is likely that business will resume as usual. However, this may be setting a dangerous precedent for the future. Sir Lyonset, a government official, states that the bank may need to fill certain criteria before funds are given to the institution.
“We will do all we can to restore confidence, but we can’t let the bank believe we’ll bail them out every time,” says Lyonset.
The Solinar Council should make their final decision on the bail-out in the following weeks.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mar 19th, '10, 13:33 
Level 9 Player Character

Marduk, former Murdoch McRose, former Murduk, has made a generous offer directly to the bank. He's offered to refund the bank with 1.500.000 gold coins, completely devoid of interests.

In reply as to the "Why?", he merely said "I have the means, that is my motive!"

He's currently living in the atrium with his fiancé Bree Hull, awaiting an answer from the bank.

'The wise ox gets the yoke'

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mar 23rd, '10, 02:20 
Twilight Council

Government Bails Out Bank, Donation Rejected
Darien Glouster, Staff Writer

On Monday, March 22, the Solinar government gave a generous sum of gold to the Solinar bank in order to help it through tough times. Theodore Rowe, Public Relation Coordinator for the bank, stated, “We are grateful for the bail-out and will be sure to put it to good use. New locks and traps will be installed and more guards will be hired to patrol the bank.”
Although this may seem like a standard transaction, it is far from being so. The funds that were given to the bank did not come from tax payer’s money. Instead, Warlord Remmington used funds given to him by the current Maharaja of B’Ahal.
“It’s for the best that he used those funds,” says Council Member Lyonset. “He may have been accused of accepting bribes, otherwise.”
B’Ahal has gone through an economic boom in recent months. Neither plagued by shahuagin nor undead, the city has been allowed to prosper and is quickly passing Solinar as a major trade hub. Needless to say, it is becoming imperative that Solinar maintain positive relations with the desert city. The recent donation by the Maharaja suggests that B’Ahal may have the same goal in mind. The gold is being put to good use by upholding the banking institution.
Yet the Solinar government was not the only one to offer an escape from financial crisis. A wealthy private citizen, Marduk Hull, offered to donate over a million pieces of gold to the Solinar Bank. When asked why he would do such a thing he responded, “Why? I have the means, that is my motive!”
Marduk Hull is perhaps better known as “Murdoch McRose,” former Champion of Hendok and ruler of Nheraz’Kharr. He has apparently abandoned his title and city in order to live more peacefully in Solinar with his wife. However, he still maintains his political reputation; this may be one of the reasons why the bank rejected his offer and why the Solinar government stepped in so quickly.
The Solinar bank has already begun to install the new security equipment, which should be running in a matter of days. Any financial troubles it had are now swept away with the tide of gold.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mar 23rd, '10, 16:42 
Twilight Council

Lotus Girl stops bank robbery
Mirille Thomas, staff writer

Three powderkegs and three big swords is what the three men who broke into Solinar Bank just after the reimbursement tried to rob the new bank vault with. Casualty reports narrow it down to one of them getting skewered by one of Anni Redriner's lot, the kegs blowing up and trashing the front door and the entryway.
"We were helpless but this young girl seemed to have it all under control as they usually do." - said Michael Barrison of the city guard.
After a quick chase across downtown, the Lotus Fist disciple handed the last one of the robbers over to Sunrise Reverend Thomas Arry.
The name of the disciple remains unknown, reward was said to be refused by the Lotus Fist.
"We do not help for any sort of gain. We just do, because we can." - said Ally Redriner, order master.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mar 23rd, '10, 19:53 
Twilight Council

Demons Invade Solinar Plains

A stillness permeated the air, lending everything an unnatural calm. Birds silenced their songs and no wind filtered across the Solinar plains. It was then that a rift opened in reality and demons began to invade.
“It was awful,” an eyewitness recounts. “So many came at the same time and there was some sort of flying purple hippo, too.”
Led by the Crescent Moon General of Elmensfaar, Nathan Geran, several adventurers attempted to stem the tide of demons filtering into the plains. They met with varying success and it wasn’t until the end that the creatures were swept back into the Abyss.
Other witnesses reported seeing beams of light coming down from the sky, perhaps denoting a divine presence. Some even claim that General Geran was able to repel the demons almost single handedly with the goddess Seleen at his back. Whatever the story, it is clear that the demons have not only been driven back but that magic has also been restored to the realm.
White Mage Thorlian states, “It’s a relief to have the use of magic once more. No one realizes how much they rely upon it until it’s gone.”
For the last several weeks, the populace has had to suffer without magical cure-alls, diet pills, and other remedies for the every day use. Even some enchanted adventuring equipment has failed its users. Magic is an integral part of the modern, every-day society. However, this recent loss has shown city officials that one should not rely too heavily on such a device.
“We cannot allow ourselves to wholly depend upon something that is likely to fail,” says Council Member Lyonset. “It’s bad for business.”
Witnesses to the demon invasion say that they saw the goddess Tsauri herself reward those that defended the city. However, it is not likely that the invasion has been repelled completely. No doubt the Abyss will make another attempt to infiltrate this plane.
“We’ll do what we can to defend the city,” says Guardsman Huck Fynn. “It’s all we can do.”

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Apr 9th, '10, 01:26 
Twilight Council

Gold Giver Strikes Again
Marianne Thorpe, Staff Writer

The philanthropist seems to have struck again among the slums of Solinar City. Several families, including ones who were hit hardest by the recent orc attack, woke up to find money on their doorsteps. Many claim to have received more than the previous incident, and authorities are stumped once more.
“We really don’t know who’s giving out the gold,” says Guardsman Huck Fynn. “Like my buddy said before, it’s probably some noble. I don’t see why it’s even a big deal.”
That being said, it is strange that this noble hasn’t come forward to claim the fame. Some of those from the upper class, who prefer to remain anonymous, speculate that the philanthropist may continue giving gold and only reveal himself once he has achieved the appropriate level of fame.
“That is how these things work, after all. Why bother with a modicum of fame when you can achieve something much better?”
Whoever the culprit may be, Solinar families are certainly benefitting from the kindness. Although many failed to specify exactly how much they received, it was certainly enough to get them back on their feet for the time being.
“We ain’t got a lot, but we sure are grateful for the help,” says Davie Smith, husband and father of two children. “Hopefully the help keeps on coming.”
However, when the philanthropist does announce his identity it will no doubt result in the last of the donations. Until then, families can most likely expect to receive another gift of gold.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Apr 9th, '10, 12:05 
Twilight Council

The Anni Redriner Interview
Vance and Mirille Thomas, staff writers

Who in her right mind would leave her husband to stay in a room with the land's number one sex symbol, you might ask, dear ladies. Well known for her revealing clothing and the army of girls that follows her, the calendar pictures and the idolatry that turned her into Miss Myth and Lady Legend, everybody's favorite redhead lives up to everything you have heard about her, and more.

"I already promised the newly formed tribune that I would give you a lengthly interview." - She said and crossed her right leg over the left, smiling sweetly and I looked towards the door to check if my wife had already left the room to interview the order's first disciple, our beloved senator Manesfeld's daughter, the beautiful Cassandra, or would she see me blush. The plan was to ask her firsthand about the celebrity whose cleavage left me stare forcibly towards the upper regions of her face not to seem indecent. You know what I mean, don't you, gentlemen?

"Anni? Nooo... she's not sultry or seductive at all. Your husband is safe, as long as he minds his manners. Let me clear this out, a Lotus Flower monk NEVER EVER EVER taught a man a lesson that didn't deserve it. Our first and foremost purpose is to protect those who cannot protect themselves." - Cassie replied laughing to my inquiry whether or not it was a good idea to leave my man locked up with somebody whose reputation to kick men in the pants precedes the guessing about her shirt size.

She sat there, looking pretty, yet somehow being natural about it. You all know the kind of woman that plays a little stage act for the better part of her life, thick makeup and manicured down to the last toe. Miss Redriner was nothing like that in real life, I even found myself in slight surprise when she walked in. She's not six feet tall but a mere five feet two at the most but heels deceive. She's not seductive or overbearing at all, you expect to meet a femme fatale and you end up seeing a twenty year old college girl.
A very wise college girl.

"I met her on the street. Just walking past. And when she saw me fumble around with the heavy packages she told the political committee to wait and helped me haul my shopping. Yes that's right, she told ten odd important people to wait to help a kid carry some junk." - She said and grinned at me as my face had probably given away my dubiousness about somebody with the rank of Princess to be any sort of considerate.

"I formed the current order of Lotus back during the Langorian era. I just arrived to Solinar back then. Originally the Lotus were ladies of lore and entertainment whose circumstances required them to develop a style of self defence. I took this style taught to me by somebody who prefers her identity unmentioned, and when I saw that there is a need for such support, I decided to teach girls."
- Anni explained. She prefers to be called by her first name and hates to be addressed by any sort of title, and despite me easily being the age of her father, she just called me by my first name from the first handshake, yet I could feel the respect that I did not suppose I would get from somebody that can beat a dragon unarmed and unarmored.

"The girls? We ALL think the same about her: She's fab. No doubt. And no, we are definitely not a fan club, we just accept her teachings because of the life changing experience of being part of such a thing as a female order." - To my question whether her astonishing figure and health are a product of Anni Redriner's trainng, Cassie just nodded, smiling. "And now I'm her number one disciple, the order's physical education and combat instructor. Want me to give you a few tips?"

"I did not fight any gods. I've had Handok slap me around once you see. I just kept standing up. I can cast healing spells, and he didn't want to kill me just break my spirit. He broke my arm instead, so I socked him one and a flip kick to the jaw. He didn't really feel it but he turned around saying..." - And she made a mockery of a man's voice, I laughed - "You are worthy of survival. And disappeared. I didn't kick his arse and never punched Haniel either." - Her shifty eyes told me otherwise but I left the discussion at that. Let's pause here a moment, though. The Lord of Terror was disciplining her and she's talking about it like a friendly spar. Is she REALLY 'Painless'?

"She can take punishment, yes. But no, she didn't get bitten by a dragon, she actually dodges. She's a human girl just faster and tougher than a human girl. And she doesn't lose her cool so every move she makes, even in a hail of arrows, will be punctual and controlled." - Cassie explained, and I started to understand that most of the gossip about her is just made up. When I asked her about the cast on her left leg and arm and the countless bandages, she smiled and shook her head, I had to pry it out of her. "I took a hit from a skeletal juggernaut to save somebody's life, okay? I'll live. He will too, which matters a lot more to me."

"Children? Of course. I could outrun them easily, remember? I don't mind them coming to me and I can handle them well. The other day I've had a whole class follow me out of Solinar. I did send them back in mind you. Being responsible comes first. I never understood the people who put themselves before others. I know a few people who think they are powerful but in reality they are much weaker than Sammi Thornton in downtown solinar who took care of seven cats from her allowance. Know that story?" - I didn't. She told me about a girl who was raised by the prostitutes, and is thirteen years old now. She used to share her meals and shelter with every stray animal and child, refusing to go to the orphanage. She works with Anni at the docks and is going to become a lotus disciple when she becomes of age. I sat astonished listening to a story of true strength, told by a person of true strength. The interview was shorter than a Lotus Disciple's skirt as guards came in asking for Anni's help with some undead somewhere. One thing for sure: I think I understand respect a lot more after this conversation.

Reading through my husband's notes, I only have two things to say. Stereotypes about the Lotus being bad influence on our daughters with their lacking clothing and their nature should be lifted. And in the end I was glad to have left my husband in one room with one of the greatest heroines of all time... he cleans his desk and helps with housework eversince.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: May 22nd, '10, 05:46 
Twilight Council

Babylon Gates Open, Yet Preservers Remain Victors

On May 21, a beam of light was reported to have shot into the sky from the direction of the City of Babylon. Although there were few eye witnesses to the event, there were reports from troops stationed towards the north that not only did the gates of Babylon open, but that hordes of demons flooded from them.
“It was like nothing I’d ever seen,” said Lieutenant Gregory Chairman when describing the event. “There were so many. We were lucky that Josh and Anni showed up.”
The tide of demons was apparently stemmed with the help of such heroes as Lord Josh Scarbo, Lady Anni Redriner, and Lord Nathan Geran. Although the demons were pushed back into the gates, this event seems to validate the claims of the Preservers.
“I always knew there wasn’t anything good behind those gates,” says Katie Belle, an ardent supporter of the Preservers. “Domorus told the Preservers to keep them shut for a reason…and now we have our reason.”
The war between the Crusaders and the Preservers has been a point of contention between Solinar and pro-Crusader cities such as Nheraz’Kharr. With the Gates of Babylon still in existence, there is no doubt that this friction will continue and perhaps affect future relations.
Although relations between pro and anti-Preserver cities have been troubled, the relations between Solinar and Babylon have almost been non-existent. There has been little word from the neutral city, and many Solinarians assumed that it had been abandoned by King Jarred.
However, this is apparently not the case. Reports have come in which state that the King of Babylon was seen in his city after the appearance of the beam of light.
“I think it speaks of troubled times,” says Chairman. “When the King of Babylon appears, you know that things are going to get rough.”
Whether or not events worsen is up to speculation. As it is, it seems as if the Gates of Babylon are once more firmly shut, and Solinar’s Preservers have won a small, yet momentous victory.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: May 22nd, '10, 06:18 
Twilight Council

Solinar Elites Strut Their Stuff at Lord Lyonset’s Gala
Nellie Reifler, Staff Writer

The best of Solinar’s fashionistas were out and about at Lord Lyonset’s fabulous gala on Friday night. A grand ballroom played host to high heels, diamonds, and sapphires, as lords and ladies twirled in time to the music of famed musicians.
Bell sleeves and full skirts were the order of the night, laced with embroidery and accented with sapphires. Rubies are out this season, girls. Instead, try the timeless diamond.
Lady Sorin displayed a particularly stunning set of jewels: a necklace of both diamonds and sapphires valued at over a million gold. Not to be outdone, Lady Victren was seen in an eye-catching red gown with a daring neckline. Both were with their husbands, Lord Sorin and Lord Victren, who displayed poise and grace on the dance floor.
Lord Lyonset himself was seen with his wife and daughter, both dressed in the height of fashion. Miss Lyonset’s ballroom slippers were especially dramatic, with custom embroidery done up the sides. Apparently imported from exotic B’Ahal, the shoes are one-of-a-kind.
But perhaps the best part of the night for the ladies was the appearance of the most eligible bachelor in Solinar, Baron Trystan Darcen. Although he made a point of dancing with most of the ladies present, he paid particular attention to a Miss Bennis who looked ravishing in a gold, silk gown and lace-up slippers.
With fashion, food, and dance, the height of Solinar society partied its way into the early morning hours. Lord Lyonset has certainly set the standards high for the rest of the summer season.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Jul 6th, '10, 09:05 
Twilight Council

Minister of Trades and Foreign Affairs Against Racism
Vance Thomas, staff writer

I woke up to rapid knocking on my office door. Yes, I was staying in all night again, working on my crime-series. When I opened the door, sir Gaston Louville DeNoir tipped his stylish hat at me, and all he said was "I have a story for you."

"I wish to step up against racism in Solinar and the surrounding regions. Let it be known that kidnappers have taken my daughter early in the afternoon yesterday, and weren't for the half-devil elmensfaar ranger Corrinn Goodmane, perhaps she wouldn't even be alive now. The combat prowess in rescue and the care and kindness with my daughter only tells me one thing about this woman: she may have horns on her head and devil blood in her veins but the heart that pumps that blood is the heart of a Preserver. I realize that many follow me in fashion and thinking, so I would like to make this clear: people are to be judged by who they are, not what they are."

Isn't that the truth, dear readers.

Offline Profile