Login | Register

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

It is currently Mar 29th, '24, 00:59

Post subject: A job for a Cat
PostPosted: Oct 6th, '10, 00:35 
Level 5 Player Character

The birds chirped their daily songs as Elissril glanced about from behind a building, a rolled letter in her hand, and behind her was a shadow in shape identical to hers. She glanced back, and offered the letter to it. The shadow took the letter and nodded, before seemingly melding with the shade of a nearby tree.

Elissril heard the slight creak of a door opening at the front, and she knew it was time to get to work. She crept around the building in the shade, and peeked around, spotting the man she set out to watch; a handsome young man in his early twenties with black hair. He was walking towards the village of Lil Sum first, presumably to visit. It didn't matter too much, she knew where he was going to eventually go as she followed after the man quietly, and off the road.

The man entered the village and into the marketplace which was busy with merchants already there selling their wares, Elissril simply trailed around the market some as she watched the man, he had only stopped to talk to a man at a produce stall for a few minutes, before he made his way out of the marketplace.

Elissril followed in the streets, although at times she would hide behind cover, particularily at times that there wasn't a shadow near her, since it was still day time. She took cover behind some stairs for a few moments as she listened to the man's footsteps, and then proceeded to stalk him around the corner to another exit out of the city leading to a Budddha shaped mountain. He walked along his path, and Elissril carefully made her quiet way through the trees to follow, and there were shades from the trees here.

The man walked up the slope to begin his daily patrols, and a certain sneaky Cat followed, and watched.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: A job for a Cat
PostPosted: Oct 7th, '10, 18:54 
Masters of Fate

It was a cloudy night, but the full moon was out. The window was creaking open to Mr. Izanagi's Home in Zheradan City. He was preparing himself some ramen boiling over the stove. He went to check on it and saw it would be ready in a minute. He turned to go back to his study.

The candle was out.

Mr. Izanagi - poor old soul - froze in his shoes.
All was dark, save for the moonlight that poured through the open window.

"Do you have a demon for me?," said a dark, brooding north Zheradani voice from that same spot. And at that same moment, a head tilted in from the open window, masked, and a lunar eye with a sidelong glance stared through the soul of the old man.

Mr. Izanagi shivered through his spine. He feared that only this man would take the job, a fear that overruled his satisfaction that he may also lay the worries of his demon to rest. He stuttered and said quickly, "Th.. The little th-thicket by... A-..arashi no Enkai!"

A cloud masked the light of the moon at that moment, and ... Mr. Izanagi was all alone.

Moments passed and The Lost Horseman - a Tara Oni who haunted the aforementioned lands - was laid to rest as a pitch-black blade that shone with golden runes and reflected a blue hum of the moon entered from behind him, through the core of his chest. He passed through the gateways of forgotten old as he saw his own eminence shed into a black powder that vanished into the air. And... he was no more.

The harbinger of the ways of ninpō glanced back to the full of the moon, and as moments passed, there appeared a shadow behind him. His ghostly eyes only darted to move where the presence was. It was gone in an instant, but it had left something behind.

"Hakari, I am down in Zheradan watching the next man that has been
found, Jon Wang. Unfortunately, Drusilla has also found him, and
is attempting to worm her words into him slowly. I will be watching
Jon for a long while, and I may need your help --
especially if I decide to start specifically spying on Drusilla.
Jon needs eyes on him at all times, as I suspect he will learn to
hide from his family, and their own watchful gazes will not be
enough. I can be found in and around the village of Sil Lum, but
do not ask around for me; none know I am here--
With love, Elissril."

The letter recieved a drop of water upon it. It was then folded, and with such time and care it would seem to have been done by a masseuse who tailored his arts to paper.
"Wang... Jon..."
His voice muttered underneath his mask. There were two steps heard, and the figure danced into the southern song of the night...

To spare the sands, the seas, the skies
I offer thee this silent sacrifice."

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Oct 9th, '10, 05:04 
Level 5 Player Character

The Wang family conversed silently to each other as they ate at their dinner table, unaware that a Cat was creeping upstairs with no sound to speak of.

Elissril eased slightly when she made it to the top of the stairs, knowing she only had to focus on moving quietly, controlling the weight of her footsteps against the floor, it came almost naturally to her now. She opened one of the doors slowly, creeping in to find a room with two beds and two dressers, presumably the brothers room.

Elissril closed the door behind her, not wishing to waste any time. She began opening the drawers on both of the dressers, carefully searching beneath clothing and such, as if she were looking for anything hidden. When she was satisfied, she closed the drawers, and looked beneath both of the beds, and then under all of the pillows.

After Elissril conducted her somewhat hurried search, she heard footsteps at the bottom of the steps, a brother on his way perhaps? No matter, Elissril knew it was time to leave. She hurried quietly to the window, opening it to climb onto the roof, closing it behind her.

And none saw the Cat vanish under the dusk sky.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Oct 9th, '10, 18:12 
Twilight Council

…Except for one.

The woman who saw the Cat vanish stood below in the shadows of the coming night. Her silk dress stirred slightly in a faint breeze as she gently coaxed a strand of her dark hair back into place.
They said that cats had nine lives. Perhaps it was the perfect time to test this theory. Drusilla flexed the one arm she kept concealed at all times, feeling the negative energy pulse through it as she judged where the Cat vanished. A red glow faintly lit up her face for a moment and then, as if she remembered what she was doing, it was suddenly extinguished.
It didn’t matter. The Cat would have found no love letters, no half truths or written devotions. She raised her hand and traced dark runes in the air, disappearing in a small burst of light.

A young man climbed up the hill of Zheradan, his eyes scanning the bamboo forest for the relentless tiger. It looked as if it would be a quiet day.
He made it to his outpost, adjusting his armor and katana before settling down to a long day of scanning the area for any potential threats. He kept his hopes up for the promise of an unexpected visitor. First one, then two hours passed. The shadows of the bamboo crept along the clock’s dial.
The sound of footsteps scrabbling over rock and leaves caused him to reach for his katana. He counted down the seconds before the person came into view.
It was a boy. He let his hand fall to his side as he tried to keep the look of disappointment from his face, “What are you doing here, Akio?” His eyes suddenly fell to the boy’s arm, swinging lifelessly at his side. His face was twisted in pain and his face was smudged with tears.
“What…happened?”
“I fell.” The boy whimpered slightly, “I don’t want my father to find out.”
Jon Wang scanned the area once more before kneeling, “You really should see the healer in the village, Akio.”
“But she’ll tell him what happened!” The boy wiped his eyes with his good hand, “I heard…can you…?”
The young man looked at the boy’s arm carefully. Why shouldn’t he heal the boy? It was his destiny, his fate. He carefully placed on hand upon the boy’s arm, causing him to wince.
But what about those who came to his house? Were they in the right? Was it possible that…?
He closed his eyes as bone knitted and blood disappeared.
“In the name of the Angel of Light.”

Title OSST - Official Server Sneaky Thing - Granted by Official Server Grouch
Title Grammar Police - Granted by community.
Title Pollcat - Granted by community.

Offline Profile